See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff Backend Engineer, Destinations Platform
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
We are looking for an outstanding Backend Engineer to join the Destinations team, which is at the core of Twilio Engage’s strategy. Destinations is fundamentally changing how our infrastructure and pipelines work. The candidate will work challenges in the reliability and scalability of our infrastructure.
Twilio Engage is the brand new growth automation platform, built natively on Segment as the customer data platform (CDP) and natively on Twilio’s communications APIs. Our vision is a unified platform that intelligently delivers the most relevant content to marketers through the best channel at every point in their lifecycle. Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands of messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed, realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform: Segment Audiences for real time audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for real time personalization.
Destinations is the bridge between Personas and Core Segment. We make hundreds of destinations available to customers so they can make data decisions without hiring a data science team. We do this realtime at scale which makes Personas a very unique product.
In this role, you’ll:
- Build, evaluate, deploy and iterate on large scale data, pipelines and services.
- Develop data access patterns and services that will power many product initiatives over the next five years.
- Act as a technical leader, defining the roadmap for technological adoption, and developing the skills of more junior engineers.
- Uphold Segment-Twilio’s high standards of Engineering Excellence through: thoughtful design review, foundational technology improvements, and driving adoption of best practices.
- Foster inclusive relationships and collaborate cross functionally with incredible Product Managers, Designers, Managers, Support Specialists and other Engineers.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Proven experience writing production-grade code.
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Strong experience and expertise building API products.
- A highly effective collaborator, you work well with your team and your partners in product and design towards common goals.
- Experience maintaining and operating highly available cloud services.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- A faster learner who can quickly pick up new technologies.
- Experience writing concurrent web application in Go.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web applications (e.g., well-designed APIs, efficient algorithms).
- Strong fundamentals in stream processing and data processing systems. (Kafka, DynamoDB, BigQuery, Parquet, ect.)
This role will be based in our San Francisco or New York City office. We are also open to fully remote candidates. No travel is required for this role.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
- Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
- If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080.00 - $220,110.
- Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.