See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Engineering Senior Manager, Destinations
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is responsible for leading and growing a team of talented software engineers in Twilio Engage’s Destinations team. We are looking for an outstanding Software Engineering Manager to join and lead the Destinations team, which is at the core of Twilio Engage’s strategy. This team is building the next-gen data pipelines for batch and realtime processing. In this role you will lead a team of software engineers to partner with Product, Analytics, and Engineering teams to build products that enable marketers to make smart decisions about their campaigns and deliver personalized customer experiences. This role is highly strategic and is uniquely positioned to drive multiplier impacts for Twilio Engage as we continue to innovate and expand our core products. At the same time, you will get to lead an amazing team of talented software engineers to shape the future of our business.
Twilio Engage is the brand new growth automation platform, built natively on Segment as the customer data platform (CDP) and natively on Twilio’s communications APIs. Our vision is a unified platform that intelligently delivers the most relevant content to marketers through the best channel at every point in their lifecycle. Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands of messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed, realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform: Segment Audiences for real time audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for real time personalization.
The Destinations team enables all syncs in the Personas platform. We make it easy to send and use good profile data in the tools that marketers use to drive business value. We reliably deliver computed traits and audience membership to multiple destinations.
In this role, you’ll:
- Lead our Destination team to build, evaluate, deploy and iterate on large scale data.
- Set the technical vision for your team and be accountable for team plans and deliverables
- Grow and develop an incredible team of hardworking and motivated engineers with individual ownership and impact
- Ensure your team delivers extraordinary output, and continuously seeks ways to make an impact
- Work with pipelines, data and infrastructure.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- BS, MS, or PhD in CS, Mathematics, Statistics, or other quantitative fields or related work experience
- 7+ years of hands-on experience building production grade systems
- 5+ years of engineering management experience
- Experience managing an engineering team on large scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking and/or storage
- Previous operational responsibility for business critical production systems, in a collaborative environment.
- Experience with AWS, GCP or other public cloud infrastructure platforms.
- The ability to communicate well. You can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support teams
- Have strong familiarity with agile processes, continuous integration, and a strong belief in automation over toil.
- Proven software engineering skills across languages such as to Python, Go, C/C++
- A strong track record of recruiting, leading and growing technical teams
- Solid engineering fundamentals
- Prior experience with batch or streaming pipelines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This role will be remote, based in the US.
Approximately <10% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.