See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Senior Tech Lead Engineer (L5)
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to help the Twilio’s IoT and Wireless Team designing, developing, deploying and operating IoT connectivity platforms globally. The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach. Twilio abstracts away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network, carrier integrations and relationships throughout the world. Twilio IoT and Wireless aims to do the same for IoT Connectivity, enabling our customers to quickly integrate Wireless connectivity into their IoT products and control it through the Twilio platform.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the technical architecture of a set of products in the IoT Connectivity Market.
- Drive operational excellence, designing reliable systems and operating them in production.
- Advise and mentor junior and senior engineers and lead by example.
- Collaborate with the product team to identify project opportunities and bring ideas to the team.
- Interact with the Customer Support team and Sales Engineers to understand our customers’ pain points and plan resolutions of issues.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 7+ years of programming experience in at least one object-oriented language such as Java, Scala or C++. Experience with at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- 5+ years of practical experience building and operating high-scale, mission critical production systems. They should have learned enough lessons the hard way that they’re able to share them with others.
- Excellent abilities in high level service design -- modeling interfaces and internals in a properly modular, composable, and extensible way.
- Good working knowledge with the data persistence layers of all types (i.e. MySQL, DynamoDB, etc.), and what use cases are appropriate for which.
- Solid hands-on devops knowledge, including designing and supervising the implementation of CI/CD pipelines
- Practical experience with at least one cloud provider’s capabilities and caveats, including cost efficiencies.
- Demonstrable experience modernizing ‘legacy’ systems.
- A strong ability to translate and incorporate the needs of non-engineering stakeholders such as end customers, product, support, security and data privacy.
- Proven ability to lead in a distributed team environment and influence technical decisions at all levels, from developers to senior management
- Prior experience with Telecommunications and/or IoT technologies is a strong bonus.
- A strong grasp on the broader computing landscape -- what the most dependable technologies are to use today, as well as which are emerging and should be paid attention to.
This role will be based in our Berlin office or remote and based in Europe (Germany, UK, Ireland, Spain, Netherlands, Estonia)
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.