See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next VP of Flex Engineering.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
We believe that communication should be at the heart of every product and customer experience. Twilio Flex is a key product of Twilio’s Customer Engagement Platform. It is the contact center platform of the future, enabling customers to have a fully customizable contact center solution. Flex is Twilio’s flagship application product built on top of Twilio’s communication primitives. We serve both enterprise customers, partners and the developers that work to implement their Flex solution.
As VP, Engineering based in North America, you will have a unique chance to lead and grow the teams and site. This is an opportunity to lead a dynamic organization responsible for executing all the software development activities, and evolve and enhance the workplace environment where team members with diverse backgrounds and identities can succeed and thrive. This leader constantly thinks about customer success, technical and product strategy, and grow the business at a rapid pace as part of the Twilio leadership team. This leader will work across the entire engineering function and partner with other functions including product, sales, legal and security to drive solutions to our most challenging problems.
You must possess a great balance between business and technical know-how, and have the determination to turn your ideas into reality with a bias for action. Your strong design skills coupled with detailed vision and thought processes will help to bring a distributed team together to maintain, enhance and build innovative and state of the art products. You have validated experience crafting a work environment that both attracts and retains top talent that has delivered great business outcomes in an international setting.
You are a leader who believes deeply in building inclusive and anti-racist environments, allowing employees from all backgrounds to contribute, grow, and prosper. As a senior leader in North America, you must be a visible advocate and champion for our values, the Twilio Magic, helping build Twilio’s brand as an inclusive and diverse employer. You must believe that a diverse team, from the top down, allows all employees to achieve their full potential and as a result will allow Twilio to reach our goals, collectively.
This executive will be responsible for leading and growing Flex’s North America engineering team, and own all aspects of building and leading Twilio’s Flex software engineering teams in the region.
As a VP, Engineering, you will:
- Implement effective strategies to attract, develop, and retain highly skilled employees from diverse backgrounds to support our growth and success.
- Build healthy and agile teams while establishing a strong culture of innovation that is consistent with our aggressive growth plans.
- Lead and prioritize the product lifecycle/engineering schedule (operations, release, development, QA and support) for our portfolio of products
- Direct all engineering processes demonstrating Agile approaches
- Collaborate effectively with Engineering, Product, and other business leaders throughout North America, Europe and Asia adding your vision and strategic voice to our distributed team
- Partner cross functionally to maximize the effectiveness of the technical roadmap for the business and customers as well as for the site
- Balance the creation of new functionality for current and future customer needs, infrastructure management and the elimination of technical debt
- Lead and develop engineering teams that work across a diverse set of systems and languages
- Establish a framework for making impactful technical decisions quickly
- Empower your teams towards innovation and customer success
- Ensure key partners understand the needs of development teams
- Effectively communicate and influence across the organization including the Executive Leadership
- Act as a leader and advocate for Twilio’s anti-racist and inclusive identity as an organization
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 15+ years of hands on engineering management experience, preferably with a B2B high-growth product or platform in an agile, cloud, continuous delivery environment
- Experience building enterprise software, cloud technologies, distributed systems at scale.
- High-growth technology company experience, ideally in a platform company that has scaled to hundreds of millions of users, including experience in navigating rapid growth while maintaining both a healthy product and a healthy organization
- Experience managing a rapidly growing and distributed organization of 200+ people working across cultures and time zones
- Expert understanding of software development processes and lifecycle
- Expert knowledge of Agile Scrum and UX Centered Design principles
- Extensive engineering expertise in the areas of architecture, design and development
- Proven change and transformation leadership
- Assessed and developed talent to ensure the success of the roadmap and customers
- Proven track record of balancing long-term critical thinking with tactical execution of multiple development plans
- Experience as an office site leader and understand the responsibilities to your teams and the broader local community
- Excellent communication and social skills, ability to be personable yet persistent
- Consistent record of meeting business targets
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Continual assessment, refinement, maturation, implementation, and upholding of engineering standards and best practices
- Demonstrated experience leading at a Senior Director or VP level
- Demonstrated ability to lead significant budgets, vendors, and contract relationships
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or a related field from an accredited university
- Experience and domain knowledge of SaaS, CRM, Contact Center, CX automation and related solutions a plus
- Knowledge of the CPaaS, UCaaS and CCaaS space, its rapid evolution and how it fits in the customer engagement and customer relationship management ecosystem is a plus.
This position is remote or can be located in any of our North America hubs
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $300,000- $360,000
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.