Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. We believe that communication should be at the heart of every product and customer experience. Our customers range from individual developers to large enterprises that are well known brand names and they collectively interact with millions of consumers. Unfortunately, communications can also be misused by bad actors who attempt to game the system for nefarious purposes. As a result, our Consumer Trust team is always innovating and launching products and services that protect our customers and consumers with the best in class customer identity systems powered in parallel by the best in class communications platform.
We are looking for an Architect that can help us continue our journey to build scalable, state of the art systems that help us prevent fraud and abuse and scale as the business grows. As an Architect, you sit at the intersection of engineering, architecture, design, and operations and help our product leaders and engineers make decisions that have a lasting impact on how Twilio's services delight our customers. Working alongside technical leads and architect peers, you will ensure development teams follow consistent standards and will act as an advocate of reliability and efficiency
More specifically, we are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:.
- 15+ years of hands-on engineering experience delivering revenue generating products and services (APIs) in the public cloud (preferably AWS), at enterprise and/or consumer scale.
- Experience with modern technology stacks, development methodologies and deployment technologies (CI/CD, Containers, Micro Services, DevOps, SRE, etc.).
- Experience with developing products and services using Data/ML/AI and/or a background in building fraud/compliance/risk mitigation solutions.
- Experience with effectively managing technical debt while rapidly delivering innovative products and services. You are able to articulate mistakes you have previously made while boldly breaking new ground, how you mitigated those and what lessons you learned for the future.
- Technical leadership experience in a large-scale, enterprise environment. You have a strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- Proven ability to bridge the gap between technical and business requirements and build and own technology roadmaps for large teams over 1-3 year time horizons.
- You have a bias for action - not just to play the role of an advisor or facilitator. You take accountability for the outcomes delivered by the teams that you influence.
- The ability to influence stakeholders at multiple levels (senior executives, managers, architects, engineers, etc.) and across multiple functions (engineers, product managers, etc.) by communicating at the appropriate levels to each of these stakeholders. You have great moderation and facilitation skills to resolve different technical points of view and drive resolutions.
- Experience mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow. You help other engineers in the BU by modelling, mentoring, coaching and empowering them. You are comfortable evangelizing the team and the company in internal and external forums.
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or demonstrated equivalent experience
As an Architect, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Be Inclusive & Empower Others: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- Be An Owner & Be Bold: You will be the technical leader responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- No Shenanigans: Great technical leaders consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- Wear The Customer’s Shoes: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- Write It Down: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
- Draw The Owl: There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Bangalore, India office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. You will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.