See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Engineer in the Platform Engineering group.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to manage the operation of Twilio’s worldwide services and infrastructure to meet high availability, scalability, quality, and reliability goals. As a Software Engineer in Core Platform Engineering group you will be developing automated tooling and operational capabilities to enable real-time, low latency services for next-generation communications infrastructure worldwide.
As a Software Engineer in the Platform Engineering team, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: You will develop, deploy, and operate Twilio’s worldwide services based on Twilio standard procedures and guidelines towards 24x7 availability, with high-performance, scalable, and zero-downtime releases in our AWS environment
- WRITE IT DOWN: You will craft best practices as runbooks and standard operating procedures to share knowledge goodness across teams
- DRAW THE OWL: We still have problems we haven’t even thought of! You’ll need to recognize gaps in systems, services, and processes to achieve ultimate success
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You have the desire to collaborate across teams on best practices to build, test, and operate services at scale
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Strong sense of ownership over the success of your products/services. If you notice a risk/issue, find a resolution
- Wear the customer's shoes. Take the time to fully understand their needs, then design considerate solutions to support them
- Ability to work efficiently with multiple global teams, developing, configuring, deploying, and operating the global infrastructure for Twilio’s platform
- DevOps experience in building tools and frameworks, with an understanding of continuous deployment processes
- Ability to think at scale, bringing a focus on continuous delivery methodologies from design through deployment and operations
- Experience building and managing systems with tools such as Kubernetes, Chef/Ansible/Puppet, Kafka, Docker, and Terraform
- Bachelors/Masters degree required, or equivalent experience
- Operational experience in complex distributed systems, including experience with SLO/SLAs towards high-availability and reliability goals
- Experience operating large-scale Java-based systems and media services in production across multiple regions or data centers in a cloud platform or enterprise-scale environment
- 2+ years of experience in a DevOps/SRE environment
This position will be located in our Atlanta office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.