See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next DATA SCIENCE MANAGER
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and innovators to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to manage and grow a team of passionate engineers/ data scientists and collaborate with Product Managers, Architects to develop anti-fraud/ anti-abuse systems for our customers.
As a Data Science Manager, you will also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
In this role, you will:
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to increase their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Be hands-on with the ML engineering team - contributing to the code base in the early days of the team and product.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code. Lead code and architecture design reviews
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Interface with our central design team to ensure consistency across our user experiences.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with partners and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- 10+ years of data science experience is a fast paced company that delivers software; or 6+ years and a Master’s degree
- Experience writing production-grade code in programming languages like Java or Python.
- 3+ years experience managing a team of data engineers, data scientists and/or machine learning engineers.
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- Familiarity with agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web applications (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services and developing products on AWS or GCP.
- Experience developing RESTful services, streaming applications using Kafka, Spark.
- Hands-on experience with SQL/NoSQL databases and caches.
- Familiarity with concepts related to testing and maintaining models in production such as A/B testing, retraining, monitoring model performance.
- Understanding of frameworks like - PyTorch, TensorFlow, or Keras, why and how these frameworks do what they do.
This role will be based in our Bangalore, India office. Approximately 10% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.