See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Data Scientist
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to help scale our understanding of the Twilio user experience by modeling customer attributes and behaviors across multiple touchpoints in order to achieve three important outcomes. First, we want to identify optimizations that can accelerate the path from signup to production. Second, we want to identify product characteristics that lead to satisfying long-term user experiences. And finally, we want to classify different types of users based on their characteristics and behaviors.
Our team is small but growing quickly. You will have the opportunity to make a big impact on a team that is getting a lot of visibility and tackling novel challenges in data modeling.
In this role, you’ll:
- Model the relationship between user characteristics + behaviors and key business outcomes.
- Classify different types of users based on their characteristics and behaviors.
- Partner with stakeholders from multiple disciplines (PMs, data scientists, data analysts, data engineers, qualitative researchers) to clearly define the problems to be solved.
- Communicate insights from your analyses to diverse audiences including non-technical and technical roles.
- Plan your work for each quarter (e.g. a deliverables roadmap) and for each 2 week sprint (using Jira).
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Significant experience modeling and classifying data using machine learning techniques, including clustering techniques, using Python and/or R in a full time position.
- Proficient working with SQL and relational data, including joining, aggregating and filtering data.
- A degree in data science, analytics, or related field and relevant experience. The following are guidelines: Ph.D. + 2 years of relevant experience or a Masters + 5 years of relevant experience or a BS/BA + 7 years of relevant experience.
- Strong knowledge of statistics and probability including descriptive statistical concepts like mean, median, mode, variance, the standard deviation; inferential statistical techniques and concepts like regression, t-test, ANOVA and maximum likelihood estimators; and characteristics of different distributions.
- Ability to influence and build effective working relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Significant experience with communicating insights from your analyses to diverse audiences including both non-technical and technical roles, including executives.
- Data visualization experience, especially Tableau.
- Experience with time series and/or forecasting methods.
- Experience with AWS (Sagemaker, EC2, Lambda, etc.).
This role will be remote, and based in Denver CO, USA.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $109,824 - $151,008
- Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
- Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.