Director, Product Design - Platform
The Who, What, Why and Where
As a Director of Product Design at Twilio, you’ll be championing a talented and diverse team of product designers in their craft and process! You’ll become part of our UX leadership team, working hand-in-hand with your colleagues in San Francisco, Denver, London to shape the culture of design, research, and product development at Twilio and drive design excellence throughout the organization.
We are looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a proven track record of leading exceptional product design teams. They also have:
- 10+ years in user experience
- 4+ years as a people manager and have managed other managers
- Worked at a SaaS company, specifically on customer-facing product experiences
- A track record of producing or helping others produce highly usable and visually appealing product experiences
- Worked in a leadership capacity, directly driving UX strategies for people, process, and product
- Integrated customer research and testing into the design process
- Worked with a shared design system serving multiple teams and products
- Successfully combined a strong design process with agile and product management processes
- Experience designing for developer-centric products and APIs
As a Director of Product Design, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Be a customer advocate. Coach your team on how to best navigate a rigorous, customer-informed process to identify and prioritize customer problems and rapidly validate solutions. Be a passionately vocal advocate for the Twilio Customer through all stages of research, design, development, and go-to-market activities.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Be a proud people manager. Enthusiastically help your team hone their craft of product design. Encourage the sharing of new techniques and tools, showcase best of breed experiences in the market, and invest in professional development. Develop a sense of UX community and pride.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE + WRITE IT DOWN: Coach your team on how to break down complex problems, write and test hypotheses, craft success measures, and thoughtfully iterate from “minimal lovable” to mature, best-in-class product experiences.
- BE AN OWNER: Be arm-in-arm with your departmental peers. Communicate and connect with your peers in UX, Product Management, Engineering, and Marketing in order to share learnings, align priorities, and identify opportunities for improvements to process or people.
- DON’T SETTLE: Uphold and evolve our brand and Design System. Maintain an extremely high bar for quality and consistency through critiques, UX principles, and reviews.
The UX team at Twilio is a close-knit, collaborative group, who cares deeply about building trust with our customers and solving their problems. We work closely with product and engineering leadership to guide product strategy.
This particular role will lead product design for a set of products focused on our core platform.. The ideal candidate will have balanced strengths between fostering an inclusive team culture, running a strong customer-focused design process, and being a thought partner to product leaders in defining a bold vision for our product experiences.
This position will be located in our San Franciso office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
This role will require occasional travel between our offices to maintain relationships with team members in London, Denver, and San Francisco.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio has a distributed and remote-friendly office structure, thus the location of this position will be flexible. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.