Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
The Studio team at Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal Engineer and Technical Lead (L5) to lead us into the next generation of Studio. This new role will support the acceleration of Studio goals and vision. As a technical lead, you will lead developers from multiple teams, work with other principal engineers to define and drive the execution of technical strategy and roadmap, responsible for tackling some of the most complex and exciting technical problems in the industry. Members you will work with will be distributed in the USA and Asia Pacific.
Twilio Studio (https://www.twilio.com/studio) is our low-code visual application platform for building communication workflows. It's the fastest way to build and scale applications like IVRs and chatbots on Twilio. If you’re excited by the idea of making it easier for professional and citizen developers to build these communication workflows and want to work on interfaces that enable Twilio’s customers, please read further.
- Demonstrated track record of designing and implementing highly scalable software services by living Twilio values and magic
- 7+ years of software development experience including 3+ years leading teams distributed across multiple geographical regions/time zones.
- Proven experience of working with teams outside of the United States for technical strategy, implementations and global team development for global products
- Knowledge of architectural patterns and archetypes for building mature services, especially for distributed and multi-regional systems
- Experience in developing and managing systems and services including technologies like Java, React, RESTFul APIS, Cassandra, MySQL, DynamoDB and other AWS services.
- Ability to think at scale, bringing a focus on continuous delivery methodologies from design through deployment and operations.
- A bias toward automation, leveraging existing tools to ensure stable, clean, well-tested code gets deployed to production
- The ability to communicate well- in person, on paper, or in code
- Passion for mentoring and guiding other engineers within the area
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
As a Principal Software, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Draw The Owl: You’ll forge the vision for the next generation of Studio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
- Be Inclusive & Empower Others: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- Be An Owner & Be Bold: You will be the technical lead responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- No Shenanigans: Great technical leads consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- Wear The Customer’s Shoes: You will contribute to Studio architecture and design and technical strategy to delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- Write It Down: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
Twilio Studio (https://www.twilio.com/studio) is our low-code visual application platform for building communication workflows. It's the fastest way to build and scale applications like IVRs and chatbots on Twilio today. Because it is a visual tool and requires very little code, it not only accelerates professional developers to build quickly, but also enables "citizen developers" to directly implement on Twilio’s platform without a development team. Studio is part of a larger industry trend that is helping change the definition of a developer to include anyone who has the builder mentality.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. We are a company committed to your growth, learning, development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position can be fully remote from states located in US Eastern and Central time zones, or if there is an office in those time zones you can be attached to those offices. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $146,240 - $201,080.
- Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
- Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.