Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio Segment is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Engineer to be a key addition to the team who is passionate about creating high scale, high quality, modern solutions to complex problems.
The Infrastructure Engineering group is central to Segment’s Platform strategy. The ecosystem of tools that your team creates and supports are the foundation for the services built by our Product teams. In order to maintain our leadership position in the customer engagement space we must continue to build innovative services that support our developers in seamlessly delivering value to customers. You will partner with some of the brightest minds in the industry to push the boundaries of web-scale service delivery.
As a member of the Developer Platform team, you’ll help to empower our entire R&D organization. Alongside a diverse distributed Infrastructure group you’ll participate in building the next iteration of our service platform, ensure that our software development process iterates quickly, and that internal and external services are organized and well-administered.
Twilio Segment is looking for someone who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of engineering leadership. They also have:
- A systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with good communication skills, sense of ownership, and drive
- Experience programming in one or more of the following: Go, Python, Node.js, or similar languages
- Have hands-on experience with container orchestration frameworks (e.g. Kubernetes, EKS, ECS)
- Have built, deployed, and run distributed applications in an always-on public cloud (particularly AWS) environment
As a Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DON’T SETTLE: Write software to automate everything from manual run-book processes to complete system provisioning
- BE AN OWNER: Operate and improve our CI (Buildkite) environments and infrastructure tooling (Terraform, Atlantis) to make our build → test → deploy experience world-class
- DRAW THE OWL: Build the next version of Segment’s Service Platform (focused on deployment and observability) to support teams in deploying hundreds of services across a multi-region cloud environment
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Support teams working on large scale infrastructure processing millions of events per second and storing hundreds of TBs per month
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Participate in driving Segment as a market leader in the development of Open Source Software like kafka-go, chamber, kubeapply, etc.
The Segment Infrastructure team is central to Twilio continued growth. We work closely with senior leadership and product teams to guide company strategy.
- We implement high performance pipelines with Go, Kafka, Docker, Terraform and lots of other modern tools. We are heavy users of AWS and are expanding to other clouds.
- We drive the future of CI/CD with technologies like BuildKite, Atlantis, and many other technologies we create and curate.
- We love finding the best tools for the job at hand, for example integrating ClickHouse for customer facing and internal statistics, and running Kafka and FoundationDB at scale.
- We have a culture of exceptional testing including unit testing, automated end-to-end testing, shadow deploys, game days, and high observability.
- We’re always deploying, and have sophisticated feature flagging (built on ctlstore).
- We dog-food Segment to help ourselves move faster and guide our engineering and product.
- We partner with our customers and exceptional embedded product leadership to ensure the work we do has impact with our customers and our engineering community.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This is a remote position, located in the United States. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado.
Tier 4 base salary range: $90,752.00 - $113,440.00
Rest of Colorado: $79,408.00 - $99,260.00
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks