See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Engineer, L2
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to help Twilio build products for developers, builders and operators alike. You will work closely with Product and Design and be responsible for building low latency, highly scalable APIs.
Twilio is growing rapidly and we're proud to have our Phone Numbers Product drive industry direction through breadth, depth and innovation. We're looking for a backend engineer to join us as we begin the next stage of Phone Numbers at Twilio, pushing forward the entire industry in the process
In this role, you’ll:
- Collaborate and brainstorm product ideas with product managers, design, and engineers.
- Build highly scalable and available services
- Build REST APIs and Event based systems used by all Twilio customers
- Constantly improve services that power Twilio’s top products and also generate significant revenue
- Truly own the product you work on. Be responsible for SLA, oncall, incident resolution, customer feedback and participate in blameless post-mortems to make our products better.
- Demonstrate strong engagement in the team setting
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation or exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.
- 2+ years of Java experience. Experience with at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- 1+ years of experience working with highly scalable large distributed systems, relational databases like MySQL, data pipeline systems, frameworks to build high-performance RESTful web services
- Well versed (and opinionated) on what makes a good REST API.
- Experience building and supporting mission critical user-facing systems.
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills. You work with your team towards common goals.
- A healthy ability to manage and resolve conflict - you have the ability to listen, present, and question effectively
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) with 3 years of experience with software development lifecycle and processes
- Prior experience working with PHP and/or Python is a plus
This role will be based in our San Francisco, California office. Less than 5% travel is anticipated for this role.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $ 79,000 - $99,200. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.