Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio's Platform Engineering team is responsible for building the core compute, communications, and deployment systems used across all engineering teams at Twilio. We build the tools and platforms that allow Twilio Engineering teams to focus on their area of expertise, from the Twilio Console and Edge API down to the Voice, Video, and IoT core.
As Twilio continues its journey to empower our customers to build any communications experience across any channel, the Platform Engineering team ensures we can scale as the business grows. As stewards for how Twilio engineers run their applications, we sit at the intersection of application engineering, architecture, design, and operations -- the decisions we make and tools we build have a lasting impact on how Twilio's services delight our customers
Twilio is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join Platform Engineering and build the future of our Containers Platform as part of our Platform Engineering team in the United States. You may be a fit if:
- You are an empathetic software engineer that likes to learn, discover new things, and loves to teach others.
- You have a strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- You have software engineering experience in a large-scale, enterprise environment, working with teams which build and operate mission-critical PaaS or SaaS products.
- You’re ready to join a remote-friendly, remote-first team and work across timezones in North America.
- You have in-depth, hands-on experience building platforms at scale for containerized workloads, particularly leveraging Kubernetes, including cluster provisioning, operations, workload optimization, and workflow orchestration.
- You have hands-on experience with Continuous Delivery services, like ArgoCD, and FluxCD.
- You have demonstrated experience taking the initiative in identifying and resolving issues that help to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the team.
- You have experience working with major cloud providers, and their Kubernetes offerings. At Twilio, we use AWS and EKS, experience with them is preferable.
- You have experience in techniques like Infrastructure as Code, we use Terraform extensively.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Influence your team, peers and partners through crystal clear thinking and communication.
- DRAW THE OWL: Continually improve our technology and our process. Rally the team around emerging needs, champion high quality engineering, be a role model for development habits, strengthen your team.
- BE AN OWNER: Own your area of Platforms; set service level objectives, lean on your foresight and experience to keep your systems reliable and efficient via measurement, analysis and testing.
- BE INCLUSIVE / EMPOWER OTHERS: Partner and collaborate with leaders across functions and boundaries in order to align your team to our product, architecture and technology roadmaps.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Exercise honesty and transparency in all your communications and interactions.
Twilio is comprised of 150+ empowered autonomous engineering teams that are mini-startups each responsible for a piece of the larger Twilio puzzle. We serve the many teams that build a wide array of application shapes, sizes, and flavors for Twilio. The Platform Infra Containers team offers container services that are a part of each and every Twilio request, API call, data access, and customer interaction. Containerization and Kubernetes are key to our short and long term vision to build a more resilient, flexible, and responsive engineering platform.
Twilio believes in the power of Platforms to create leverage and empower developers. Our internal platforms enable our own small teams of developers to accelerate their delivery by enabling them to focus on making world-class services that delight our customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is remote, or can be located in San Francisco, CA. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $132,928.00 - $182,776.00
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $116,312.00 - $159,929.00
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.