See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Principal Software Engineer
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal Software Engineer to be a part of a team of talented engineers who build and integrate services that continuously improve our ability to provide products to customers while simultaneously delivering industry leading availability. We do this by leveraging technologies that include AWS cloud infrastructure and APIs, Apache Kafka, Rest APIs, while also building our own services or contributing to open source projects.Responsibilities
In this role, you’ll:
- Draw The Owl: You’ll forge the vision for the next generation of programmable interfaces for Billing Platform. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
- Be Inclusive & Empower Others: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- Be An Owner & Be Bold: You will be the technical lead responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- No Shenanigans: Great technical leads consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- Wear The Customer’s Shoes: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- Write It Down: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 10 + years of work experience building highly scalable products
- Strong experience with Java, Scala or Python
- Strong experience building scalable software systems and strong background in distributed systems, infrastructure, business logic for APIs or tooling to help debug mission critical applications
- Experience building and debugging high traffic messaging applications
- Excellent experience debugging and scaling production infrastructure and services
- Understanding of AWS infrastructure or similar public cloud providers
- A tenacity for learning - curious, and constantly pushing the boundary of what is possible
- Mentored and led a team of engineers executing medium to large scale projects
- Pioneered and established engineering best practices throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Strong technical and leadership chops - Led technical decisions for your team and influenced technical decisions across your functional domains. Led initiatives/projects that enforce operational reliability factors such as monitoring, performance and capacity planning, security, and disaster response.
- Clear written and spoken communication skills
- Strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. Thrive on solving complex problems, and proven the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- Ability to manage and resolve conflict - you have the ability to listen, present, and question effectively
- Self drive - not afraid to take on complete ownership of your tasks and champion efforts to get your tasks to completion
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science.
This position will be remote and based in EMEA. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.