Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an engineering leader to lead the Programmable Voice Engineering team in Bengaluru, India. As a key member of the team, you will be joining our new Bangalore office, with an opportunity to help define our technical and team culture in India. A successful candidate will innovate. embody a growth mindset, collaborate effectively, mentor engineers, solve business problems, and operate highly resilient distributed and scalable services.
Twilio is looking for a strong Engineering Manager who lives Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of shipping key capabilities that achieves business goals. They also have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 10+ years experience writing production-grade code in a programming languages like Java or Python
- 2+ years experience managing a team of software engineers
- Strong hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to operating and debugging complex systems in Production.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web applications (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services and developing products on AWS or GCP
- Strong experience working with Java and related technologies(spring, dropwizard etc)
- Hands-on experience with SQL/NoSQL databases and caches.
As an Engineering Manager:
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Be hands-on with the engineering team - contributing to the code base in the early days of the team and product.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code. Lead code and architecture design reviews
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects, and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Interface with our central design team to ensure consistency across our user experiences.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
Programmable Voice is Twilio’s foundational channels and original product which empower our customers and internal product teams to build delightful solutions. The features you deliver will be used by thousands of customers at scale, often as their business’ lifeline. Use cases range from contact centers to healthcare services, from warehouse staff to COVID-19 contact tracings from connecting to support personnels to connecting to emergency service providers. We’re excited to see what you will build!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.