See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff, Machine Learning Engineer (L4).
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
The Growth Automation pillar is building a new platform to provide a one-stop shop for marketers to build delightful, personalized customer experiences across any channel based on a single view of the customer. Orchestrate a customer journey and send emails, SMS, push notifications, voice, video, WhatsApp, onsite personalization - any channel that the customer prefers most with a relevant message they actually want to see. Our team’s goal is to help Twilio-Segment customers understand, aid, and delight their customers across every first party touchpoint and interaction.
Growth Automation is being built on top of the most sophisticated first party customer data platform in the world. Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands of messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed, Realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform: Segment Audiences for real time audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for real time personalization. We are now adding intelligence to the customer engagement by leveraging the data across multiple channels and harnessing the power of machine-learning. We are personalizing customer engagement by transforming raw customer data across all channels into actionable, individualized, machine-learning based customer predictions that you can leverage in any workflow or process.
In this role, you’ll:
- Twilio is looking for a Staff Machine Learning Engineer who wants to design, build, and deploy machine learning systems into the real world and help Twilio power its growth initiatives.
- You are eager to learn and inspire, and you like to think at scale and work on real world products and problems.
- You bring a focus on efficient experimentation, team collaboration, large-scale systems design, and good first-principles engineering. You deal with ambiguity effectively and are able to bring clarity in requirements and technical solutions.
- You are a technical lead for other MLEs on the team and partner effectively with product managers and other cross function groups.
- You work closely with the Data Scientists, build tools to enhance their productivity and to ship and maintain ML models.
- This is a good opportunity to influence and contribute to early stage product development and harness the power of machine learning for highly visible initiatives.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Minimum of 7 years experience as a Software Engineer, Big Data Engineer OR Machine Learning Engineer
- 5+ years of experience programming in one or more of the following: Go, Python, Spark/Scala, Java
- Exposure to Big Data technologies(spark/hadoop) and Microservices Architecture
- Exposure to different ML frameworks and services like Sagemaker, Clarify, Model Monitoring, TensorFlow, MxNet, PyTorch, Sklearn, etc.
- Have hands-on experience with container orchestration frameworks (e.g. Kubernetes, EKS, ECS)
- Track record of building, shipping and maintaining machine learning systems in a highly ambiguous and fast paced environment.
- Experience as a technical lead; influencing and driving clarity and alignments
- Experience working cloud technologies(AWS or equivalent) like Kinesis, SQS, S3, Athena, Glue, Step Functions, DynamoDB, RDS, Cloudformation, CloudWatch
This role will be fully remote and based in North America.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $146,240 - $182,800
Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.