See yourself at Twilio.
Join the team as our next Telecommunications Regulation and Policy Specialist
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to support our telecommunications regulatory and policy function outside of North America that will form part of our Global Telecommunications Team in the Legal Department. The Specialist, Telecommunications Regulation and Policy you will advise Twilio on market entry, understanding and fulfilling our telecommunications regulatory affairs obligation and play a key role in advancing Twilio’s advocacy on telecommunication policy issues with relevant regulators and government agencies. The ideal candidate for this role is someone who not only understands telecommunications regulations, but also understands the practical obstacles of implementing compliance in a sophisticated technological ecosystem, has experience working cross-functionally to overcome those obstacles, and enjoys the challenge of it all. You will report to the Head, Telecommunications Regulation and Policy that is based in the Netherlands.
In this role, you will:
- Ensure compliance with telecoms regulations.
- Submit regulatory data request from national regulatory agencies.
- Coordinate the development of company views on telecommunications regulatory matters.
- Support internal business division on relevant regulatory aspects of commercial dealings when required.
- Design and implement a regulatory compliance program in each of the countries in which we operate
- Handle responses to regulatory communications, enforcement actions and other government inquires and consultations.
- Provide end-to-end analysis and support to ensure compliance and follow-up in the countries where Twilio intends to offer services.
- Aide in the representation of Twilio’s interest before regulatory authorities in areas related to telecommunications regulation.
- Drive market access and licensing activities globally.
- Prepare briefing notes on legislation and regulation that may impact Twilio and track the same.
- Identify key regulatory opportunities and risks, advise/support Twilio to protect against, and/or take advantage of them; champion informed risk taking and innovation.
- Assist on M&A due diligence as the need arises.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- BA/MA in Law, Economics, Political Science or other related subject areas.
- You must have 3-5 years work experience with a telecom's operator, consultancy, or national telecommunications regulatory agency.
- A deep understanding about both wireless and fixed communications statutory and regulatory requirements in APAC.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Proficiency in English with German, Spanish or Portuguese an advantage
- A sophisticated understanding of the communications ecosystem, including the regulation of VoIP, E.164 numbers, A2P messaging, e-mail, number portability, lawful interception and telecommunications licensing.
- Previous experience working through trade associations and directing outside consultants to achieve a company’s policy goals a plus.
- Experience with implementing outstanding strategies to address changes in the telecommunications regulatory environment. Previous experience in a technology or communications company preferred.
This role will be located in our Dublin/London/Madrid/London/France office. Approximately 10% travel is anticipated.
What we offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including things like competitive pay, generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.