Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Manager, Software Engineering Manager to be a key member of the Twilio Flex R&D unit. Flex is the first fully programmable cloud contact center. You would be one of the first Engineering Managers in Bangalore, India for the Flex R&D unit, and will grow and manage a development team which is at the heart of Twilio’s business. Working with the Director of Engineering, this position is critical to build a team, define and develop Twilio’s technical and team culture in India.
Twilio is looking for a strong Engineering Manager who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of establishing and developing teams, building products with an API first approach, has experience with the entire development lifecycle from idea to design, requirements to implementation, testing through deployment, and beyond into support. You will also:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 5+ years experience in an engineering management role, building, deploying, and operating enterprise SaaS applications.
- Represent your customers’ perspectives. You plan for how they will be impacted by the services you build into Flex, and you always work to enable their success.
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Communication skills that demonstrate empathy and compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team.
- Strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- Owned and operated services end-to-end, from requirements gathering and design, to debugging and testing, to release management and operational monitoring
- Broad knowledge of development environments and tools used to implement and build code for deployment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize technology and roadmaps
- The ability to communicate well - in person, on paper, or in code. You can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support teams
- Strong expertise in solving complex production issues.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Have strong familiarity with agile processes, continuous integration, and a strong belief in automation over toil.
- Have a degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience with 10+ years of experience leading teams who delivered native cloud enterprise applications running on public cloud.
- Previous experience with Contact Center and Customer Engagement solutions is a plus.
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL & BE BOLD: You will forge the vision for how your products help customers and meet the goals of Twilio Flex. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You will embrace and experiment with new and crazy ideas. You will invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE & WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: You will collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects, and Tech Leads to ensure we are building the most important features for the customer and the team has clear direction and priorities, and works with clear focus and purpose.
- EMPOWER OTHERS & BE INCLUSIVE: You are humble, will foster a culture of inclusivity, us vs I, and grow a high-performing team. You will help people realize and maximize their full potential, provide active coaching and mentoring. You will earn the trust of people by providing a safe environment where everyone can bring their best and authentic selves to work.
- NO SHENANIGANS & DON’T SETTLE - You will consistently display good judgment, and care about how your product performs and enables customers to succeed. You are intellectually honest, transparent, and will work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. You will serve as a role model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team. You will hire the best people for the role, and will expect the best from yourself and your people.
Twilio Flex is an omni-channel contact center platform built on top of Twilio’s communications products. Flex is a truly innovative SaaS solution which incorporates programmability into every layer of the stack allowing our customers to create a unique solution that meets their needs. This creates an amazing opportunity as well as an exciting engineering challenge to deliver a capable SaaS product that we invite our customers directly into so that they can customize its use. In this role, you will lead teams to extend the feature set offering to customers and therefore the overall solution reach of Flex. You would be a visible leader and would work closely with teams at every layer of the company. Your success would deliver great customer experiences at major brands around the world (Twilio’s customers), and you would enable them to deliver better services to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Bangalore, India office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. You will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.