Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing fast and is looking for a Staff, Software Development Engineer (L4) to join our Studio Backend team as a Technical Lead. At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. Twilio Studio (https://www.twilio.com/studio) is our low-code visual application platform for building communication workflows. It's the fastest way to build and scale applications like IVRs and chatbots on Twilio. You’re excited by the idea of making it easier for professional and citizen developers to build communication workflows and want to work on interfaces that enable Twilio’s customers to do so.
As a Staff Software Engineer you have:
- 5+ years of experience with Java, Object Oriented Design & microservices
- Experience working with and operating SQL databases, and NoSQL a plus
- Experience with distributed systems and service-oriented architectures
- Strong working experience with developing scalable systems on AWS or other cloud platforms.
- Experience with and passion about providing technical leadership to team members.
- A bias toward automation, leveraging existing tools to ensure stable, clean, well-tested code gets deployed to production
- Owned and operated services end-to-end, from debugging and testing to release management and monitoring
- The ability to communicate well- in person, on paper, or in code. You can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support
- Empathy for your customers and teammates
- You have 5+ years relevant work experience, or a relevant degree supplemented with experience in the field
As a Staff Software Engineer you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Work with other engineering teams and with members of the product organisation to distill internal and customer needs into requirements and tech specs
- DRAW THE OWL: Build new features
- DON’T SETTLE: Architect new systems and design APIs with a focus on testability, and maintainability
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Help resolve technical issues and blockers for internal and external customers
- BE AN OWNER: Drive high engineering standards on the team through code review, automated testing, and mentoring. We care what our code looks like, and you should too
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Collaborate with colleagues on a small, energetic team
Twilio Studio (https://www.twilio.com/studio) is our low-code visual application platform for building communication workflows. It's the fastest way to build and scale applications like IVRs and chatbots on Twilio today. Because it is a visual tool and requires very little code, Studio not only accelerates professional developers to build quickly, but also enables "citizen developers" to directly implement on Twilio’s platform without a development team. Studio is part of a larger industry trend that is helping change the definition of a developer to include anyone who has the builder mentality.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in one of our US based offices or can be US based fully remote. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$132,928 - $182,776
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks