Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
It’s time to build! We seek an inspired, technical individual to join our Commons Platform leadership team and help us keep empowering developers all around the world to build modern communication applications and experiences. This Engineering Management position is responsible for managing the team delivering Event Streams, a new product that allows our customers to consume a unified stream of events that represent every interaction on Twilio. Event Streams is part of the Twilio Commons Platform organization responsible for providing a platform used by Twilio's customers and product engineering teams alike, to build global-scale communications services. If you feel excitement from leading a team focused on scale and world-class API and event streaming experiences, you may be a fantastic fit.
Are you willing to become the leader of a Platform team? Are you passionate about empowering teams to build highly-available distributed systems? Can you lead from behind and think at scale both organizationally and technologically? Have you thought about how to enable teams to develop platform solutions that delight customers? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, we want to speak with you!
Twilio is looking for an empathetic Engineering Manager who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated capacity to lead and nurture teams. They also:
- Are a software leader that is passionate, humble, empathetic and customer-centered.
- Have a strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- Have experience recruiting, hiring, and cultivating talent for your team.
- Have software engineering management experience leading teams which build and operate critical PaaS or SaaS products.
- Are able to teach and mentor future architects, principal engineers, tech leads, and software engineers.
- Think pragmatically, choosing the right trade-offs when faced with complexity.
- Act inclusively. Can you be a key leader of a generative organization and promote inclusive values and empathy across the organization?
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or 6+ years of work experience in this industry.
As an Engineering Manager in Commons Platform, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE BOLD: engineering teams are autonomous mini-startups at Twilio. As Engineering Manager, you will be the COO of the Event Streams startup responsible for people, process, and execution of the team. Hiring well, managing performance, providing coaching, and developing your team and products, is how you win!
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: build with empathy. Your team will ship great Platforms that delight your customers. You are expected to know your customers and walk in their shoes, while helping your team understand your customer’s challenges, identify problems, craft solutions, and deliver value to them.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: to quote Nelson Mandela, “It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.” Can and will you lead from behind?
- BE AN OWNER: trust is the number one thing that Twilio sells. Companies rely on Twilio to “just work”. As a DevOps organization, we build and run our own services. Operating with excellence is imperative. You will be accountable to identify, track, and communicate team metrics, SLOs, and SLAs. You are required to work with your team to set and execute on your annual and quarterly goals.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: each and every engineering team is a potential customer for Platforms at Twilio. Every request is the highest priority. While we strive to help all customers and respond compassionately, you will identify the requests that have the most impact and prioritize ruthlessly.
- BE INCLUSIVE: the best teams at Twilio have effective collaboration between the Engineering Manager (Team COO), Tech Lead (Team CTO), and Product Manager (Team CPO). You will have the opportunity to inspire and foster your team to collaborate among themselves and with their customers, facilitating discussion through conflict and achieving results without dictating and deciding decisions top-down.
- WRITE IT DOWN: you will be required to communicate effectively upward to executives, sideways to your peers, and downward to your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Are you respectful even in stressful situations?
Event Streams is responsible for delivering a configurable, centralized stream of Twilio event data and making it available to be consumed. As part of the Commons Platform organization, we provide building blocks for all Twilio customers and engineers alike. We deliver millions of customer data events every day that our customers can effectively leverage. We take great pride in wearing customer’s shoes and making decisions inclusively. It is extremely important for us to build services with exceptionally high uptime, availability, and success rates.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Madrid, Spain office at Paseo de la Castellana, 77, although working remotely is also an option. Here, over 60 Twilions are fully dedicating their skills to our different products and initiatives while at the same time creating a unique office-culture in what has become one of Twilio’s fastest growing “tech-hub” offices worldwide. An office that, as the terrible COVID-19 pandemic has shown us, can overcome any challenges and stay focused and united during difficult times, always putting the safety and health of our employees and their families first. We have proven we can all have a strong impact and coordinate well together no matter where we work from.
Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.