Vice President, Head of Engineering & Poland Site Leader
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
The Engineering and Product teams focus on building exciting products and features on the Twilio platform to serve millions of consumers and businesses globally. This starts from a deep understanding of our customer’s needs, conceptualising on the concept and bringing it to life through design and development.
As VP, Engineering, you will have an unique chance to create the team and site from inception. This is an opportunity not only to lead a dynamic organization responsible for running all the software development activities, but to build a workplace environment from the ground up where team members with diverse backgrounds and identities can succeed and thrive. This individual will work with local and remote product management and development teams to ensure goals are met that drive customer success and increase customer retention. The successful candidate will coordinate all aspects of the SDLC process. We are looking for a dynamic leader who is very technical, highly product-oriented, and business focused. This person constantly thinks about customer success, technical and product strategy, and how to grow the business at a rapid pace as part of the Twilio leadership team. We will significantly grow our R&D footprint in Poland to circa 300 over the next 3 to 5 years. The site leader will be tasked with hiring an outstanding team and ensuring that the team is high functioning. You will work cross functionally with UX Design & Research, Product and Engineering teams to drive our business product vision and achieve strategic business objectives.
You must possess a great balance between business and technical know-how, and have the determination to turn your ideas into reality with a bias for action. Your strong design skills coupled with detailed vision and thought processes will help to bring a distributed team together to maintain, enhance and build innovative and state of the art products. You have validated experience crafting a work environment that both attracts and retains top talent that has delivered great business outcomes in an international setting.
You are a leader that believes deeply in building inclusive and anti-racist environments, allowing employees from all backgrounds to contribute, grow, and prosper. As Twilio’s site leader in Warsaw, you must be a visible advocate and champion for our values, the Twilio Magic, helping build Twilio’s brand as an inclusive and diverse employer both internally and within the community in Poland. You must believe that a diverse team, from the top down, allows all employees to achieve their full potential and as a result will allow Twilio to reach our goals, collectively. You will especially keep these values top of mind as you lead the hiring and build out of your team in Poland.
As a VP, Engineering and Site Leader, you will:
- Rapidly scale Twilio’s Poland R&D center, through the recruitment and development of top engineering talent. Implement effective strategies to attract, develop, and retain highly skilled employees from diverse background that we need to support our growth and success.
- Work with Twilio’s global multi-functional teams – HR, TA, Finance, Legal, Facilities, Security, IT to build an elite center in Poland and make Twilio in Poland as one of the most sought-after companies to work for.
- Elevate the Twilio employer brand in the community
- Act as a leader and advocate for Twilio’s anti-racist and inclusive identity as an organization
- Effectively communicate and influence across the organization including the Executive Leadership
- Lead and prioritize the product lifecycle/engineering schedule (operations, release, development, QA and support) for our portfolio of products
- Direct all engineering processes demonstrating Agile approaches
- Explore applications and build capabilities in new-age technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, etc.
- Collaborate effectively with Engineering, Product, and other business leaders throughout North America, Europe and Asia adding your vision and strategic voice to our distributed team
- Partner cross functionally to maximize the effectiveness of the technical roadmap for the business and customers as well as for the site
- Balance the creation of new functionality for current and future customer needs, infrastructure management and the elimination of technical debt
- Lead and develop engineering teams that work across a diverse set of systems and languages
- Establish a framework for making impactful technical decisions quickly
- Empower your teams towards innovation and customer success
- Ensure key partners understand the needs of development teams
- Ensure the engineering team understands the business direction and how each individual engineer’s work contributes towards the big picture of the product line and company offerings
We are looking for a leader who lives Twilio Magic and also are/have:
- 15+ years of experience as a software engineering global leader experience working with US based global companies
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or a related field
- Expert understanding of software development processes and lifecycle
- Expert knowledge of Agile Scrum and UX Centered Design principles.
- Extensive engineering expertise in the areas of architecture, design and development
- Proven change and transformation leadership
- Assessed and developed talent to ensure the success of the roadmap and customers
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Continual assessment, refinement, maturation, implementation, and upholding of engineering standards and best practices
- Demonstrated experience leading at a director or VP level
- Demonstrated ability to lead significant budgets, vendors, and contract relationships
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in Warsaw, Poland. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.