Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing and seeking a Senior Tech Lead to be a key leader in the IoT Business unit. They will lead technical strategies for the Connectivity product group. As a member of the leadership team, they will be responsible for cross-team alignments and collaborations.
Tech leads at Twilio are responsible for creating a culture of innovation, high quality predictable software development and a team that enjoys what they're working on! You will work closely with Product and Design and be responsible for designing and building systems our customers will love, all while providing low latency, highly scalable APIs.
A great day for you would be working alongside a small and collaborative team, whiteboarding ideas, building APIs used by all Twilio customers, as well as constantly improving services that power Twilio’s top products and also generate significant revenue. At the same time, you will be helping other developers by mentoring them, providing guidance, and positively influencing their careers.
You should have some or all of the following:
- 7+ years of programming experience in at least one object-oriented language such as Java, Scala or C++. Experience with at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- 5+ years of practical experience building and operating high-scale, mission critical production systems. They should have learned enough lessons the hard way that they’re able to share them with others.
- Extensive knowledge of architectural patterns and archetypes for building mature and globally distributed services
- Excellent abilities in high level service design -- modelling interfaces and internals in a properly modular, composable, and extensible way.
- Good working knowledge with the data persistence layers of all types (i.e. MySQL, DynamoDB, etc.), and what use cases are appropriate for which.
- Solid hands-on devops knowledge, including designing and supervising the implementation of CI/CD pipelines
- Deep familiarity and experience with at least one cloud provider’s capabilities and caveats, including cost efficiencies.
- A strong grasp on the broader computing landscape -- what the most dependable technologies are to use today, as well as which are emerging and should be paid attention to.
- Demonstrable experience modernizing ‘legacy’ systems.
- A strong awareness and ability to translate and incorporate the needs of non-engineering stakeholders such as end customers, product, support, security and data privacy.
- Proven ability to lead in a distributed team environment and influence technical decisions at all levels, from developers to senior management
- Prior experience with Telecommunications and/or IoT technologies is a strong bonus.
- The ideal candidate will have a great depth and balance of both technical and leadership skills.
As a Senior Tech Lead, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Take ownership of and lead the technical architecture of a set of products in the IoT Connectivity Market.
- BE BOLD: Lead operational excellence, designing reliable systems and operating them in production.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Advise and mentor junior and senior engineers and lead by example.
- DRAW THE OWL: Collaborate with the product team to identify project opportunities and bring ideas to the team.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMERS’ SHOES: Interact with Customer Support team and Sales Engineers to understand our customers’ pain points and plan resolutions of issues.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world's telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use yet robust enough to power the world's most demanding applications.
With the launch of Twilio Wireless, we are doing the same for the world of IoT. Our vision is that soon, the Internet of Things will truly live up to its name: anything that can benefit from being connected to the internet (i.e., all the things) will be — cheaply, reliably, and with the ease of use that Twilio is famous for.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling complicated problems and creating your ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
You can choose between working in Berlin, Munich or Remote Germany.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers' experience; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture to empower everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.