Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is seeking an exceptional and passionate Manager or Senior Manager of Technical Program Managers (TPMs) within Twilio's Program Management Office (PMO). Reporting to the PMO's Director, Program Management, this role will provide direct people management for 5 - 7 PMO TPMs, and also be the TPM management partner to Twilio's Platform Engineering organization.
Platform Engineering is one of the key organizations that enables and accelerates Twilio's growth. As such, we are looking for an exceptional TPM, an experienced people manager of Technical Project or Program Managers, as well as a TPM leader with experience working with SaaS DevOps and infrastructure engineering teams.
The ideal candidate has between 8 - 12 years of experience in a SaaS technology company, with a strong background in Technical Program Management. You must have a clearly articulated value proposition for TPM within Technology & Product organizations. Also, you have experience with process development, change management, and can help solve tough operational problems.
As leader within the PMO team, you will directly influence and strengthen the PMO TPM contributions across Twilio's engineering and product organizations. Partnering with the Director, Program Management, this role will have accountability for generating concrete TPM contributions, maintaining a high level of TPM value-add, and scaling the team. Partnering with Platform Engineering leaders, this role will develop an understanding of their business priorities and apply TPM contributions in a manner which generates the greatest business value-add.
We are looking for a Manager or Senior Manager of Technical Program Management who lives the Twilio Magic with:
- 8 - 10 years of experience as a TPM partnering closely with software development, devops, systems and infrastructure engineering and product teams
- 1 - 2 years of experience as a people manager of TPMs in a SaaS environment; experience providing coaching and mentoring to advance TPM skill sets
- senior level understanding of Agile software and systems development lifecycles; experience as a Scrum Leader on engineering scrum teams
- experience developing or managing engineering or product portfolio planning and tracking processes and cadences
- able to clearly articulate the value-add of TPM to engineering and product organizations; experience being an advocate for TPM
- exceptional communication skills - able to successfully adapt your style and leverage strong listening skills to inform your approach
- strong leader, comfortable engaging with people at all levels; successfully manages via influence
- a natural problem-solver and strategic thinker; able to bring clarity to chaos and navigate through ambiguity
- experience successfully rolling out changes within a team and across multiple organizations; comfortable with adapting to change
- have familiarity with AWS, GCP, and other infrastructure and SaaS providers
- experience driving technology sponsored programs; familiarity with high level cloud architecture tiers and priorities for system reliability and scalability
- have familiarity with AWS, GCP, and other infrastructure and SaaS providers
- able to quickly build credibility with technical teams, talk their language and be the connective tissue between technology, business, and operations organizations
- highly collaborative, and partner-oriented professionally, working effectively with multiple cross-functional teams.
As a Manager or Senior Manager of Technical Program Management you will:
- BE INCLUSIVE: Work cross-functionally across multiple organizations to identify processes that best support initiatives that require cross-functional collaboration in order to deliver business outcomes. Iterate and improve based on feedback from all stakeholders.
- DRAW THE OWL: Build program frameworks and operational processes that increase the efficiency and quality of execution of the PMO TPM team.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Continuously develop and mentor the technical program managers on your team to enable them to be successful in their roles and the initiatives that they directly manage.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Deeply understand the business health and key performance metrics and bring business first focus to technology initiatives. Deep dive regularly into data and metrics to identify risks and opportunities and follow through with action-oriented insights.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Translate recommendations to results by executing on action plans and project/program management as needed, draft quarterly and annual team roadmaps
- NO SHENANIGANS: Efficiently and effectively communicate findings / progress to cross-functional teams, senior leadership and the broader Platform Engineering organization
Given the incredible exposure of the Platform Engineering team across Twilio, we expect you will enjoy the diversity of fun and complex challenges you take on.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$146,240 - $201,080
Rest of Colorado:
$127,960 - $175,945
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks