Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is seeking a Chief Privacy Officer. In addition to leading our Privacy Legal and Privacy Governance functions, you will partner with leaders across the business (including R&D, Security, Sales, Marketing, Comms and Public Policy) to build and grow Twilio’s privacy brand. This role will report to the General Counsel.
We are seeking a leader who has a consistent record of leading on all privacy related matters. They also have:
- 15+ years privacy experience, including experience in a sophisticated enterprise with global operations
- Expertise in global privacy laws, regulations and standard methodologies
- Fluency translating legal advice into meaningful guidance for innovative product, engineering, security and business teams
- Experience leading and scaling privacy teams and privacy programs, including internal policies, data lifecycle, and employee training
- Passion for technology, especially around innovations in privacy and technology, and experience working with product leaders to guide product roadmaps
- Built strong relationships with cross-functional partners to establish company as a leader in privacy (i.e., at Twilio, privacy is much more than a compliance function)
- Demonstrated success collaborating with customers and other external parties
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate to all organizational levels, including the Board of Directors
- A law degree and extensive prior in-house experience required
As Chief Privacy Officer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Provide thought leadership on how we can empower our customers around privacy. Interface directly with customers and potential customers on privacy-related issues, including privacy compliance, data governance, data ethics, and privacy standard methodologies. Work with comms to develop relationships with consumer organizations and other NGOs with an interest in privacy and data ethics issues and to manage company participation in public events related to privacy and data ethics.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Develop strategic plans to ensure that long-term goals, vision, objectives, and overall direction of the privacy function support corporate long-term goals and objectives and determining resource requirements (i.e.; staffing, funding, technology requirements) based on business objectives or operational needs.
- BE AN OWNER: Direct and oversee privacy governance (including Data Protection Officer) and privacy counseling functions. Work with litigation team, sales, marketing, comms and other partners to represent the organization’s privacy interests and perspectives with external parties proactively and reactively, including data protection authorities and other government bodies.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Develop and evolve policies, tools, resources and frameworks enabling innovative uses of data throughout the company while ensuring privacy compliance and consistency with what we value around data.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Set the standard for Twilio “saying what we do” and “doing what we say” with respect to customer data and our customers’ customer data. Ensure compliance with privacy standard methodologies and consistent handling for failure to align with privacy policies for all individuals in our workforce. Oversee the continued development of privacy-related training materials for our workforce.
We have built a strong privacy foundation at Twilio. We are looking to bring on a Chief Privacy Officer to lead the ongoing development and evolution of the function.
Twilio is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
COMPENSATION GUIDANCE - COLORADO ONLY
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks