Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Engineering Manager to be a key member of the Data Platform team. You will be joining Twilio to help us support a team responsible for solutions which deliver big data services which provide intelligence for a number of critical systems that ensure Twilio is the leader in trusted communications. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, have a track record of leading teams that implement and operate big data services effectively at high scale, embody a growth demeanor, and collaborate optimally across teams.
Twilio is looking for an Engineering Manager with experience in distributed systems at scale who lives the Twilio Magic. You should also have:
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in an engineering management role
- Experience with big data technologies (e.g Snowflake, RedShift, Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
- Experience in data science or machine learning is a plus
- Instilled a DevOps culture within their teams, delivering operationally mature systems that are highly available, resilient, and maintainable
- Proven experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring engineers, and guiding validated practices that help teams mature
- Communication skills that demonstrate emotional intelligence and compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team
- Strong product and architectural vision and a proven track record to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision
- Ability to supervise the design and operation of sophisticated components and large-scale systems
- Consistent record in unblocking teams and projects, delivering against product roadmaps
- Ability to draw insights from data and clearly communicate them (verbal/written) to the partners and senior leadership as required
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
As the Engineering Manager for Data Platform, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE & DON’T SETTLE: You will advance our data and insights platform in the Email Platform Business Unit. You will forge the vision for defining and delivering insights through highly scalable data services to enhance customer experience.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will partner with other engineering teams and partners in the Email Platform Business Unit to define and build solutions that maximize email deliverability and enhance product features to improve the overall customer experience.
- BE INCLUSIVE & EMPOWER OTHERS: You will cultivate the growth of an inclusive, hard-working team. You will be working closely with teams and partners across time zones. You will lead employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. You will collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be a thought leader to guide and mentor when needed.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Phenomenal engineering managers consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes.
- WRITE IT DOWN: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. You will distill complex thoughts and concepts simply through concise written and verbal communication.
The Email Platform sends over 3 billion emails on behalf of our customers per day. We generate and process more than 15 billion analytical records per day. Our customers rely on us for insights and actions to maintain the health of their email programs and crucial communications to their customers. The Data Platform team is an integral part to the mission of providing meaningful insights to our customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Denver office or Remote. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Denver/Boulder Metro: $146,240.00 - $201,080.00
Rest of Colorado: $127,960.00- $175,945.00
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks