Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and is seeking a Technical Lead, Principal Engineer in the Flex Business Unit. Flex, the first fully programmable cloud contact center, is a platform product that integrates both native Twilio services as well as serving up a pluggable infrastructure that allows partners and customers to extend and customize the platform for their unique needs. This new role sits within the Flex product BU and will support the acceleration of quality goals for the BU and align and influence broader Twilio goals in the IaC discipline. As a technical lead, you will lead a team of developers to define and drive IaC adoption across Flex. Not only will you be responsible for tackling some of the most complex and exciting technical problems in the industry, you will also be working across the product scope based on priority need and work directly with others to provide advice and guidance on implementation approach, lead cross-team technical discussions, build relationships across architecture and engineering that help resolve bottlenecks and provide the best production solution.
- Knowledge of architectural patterns and archetypes for building mature services, especially for distributed and multi-regional systems.
- Experience in deploying and managing systems and services in a platform-agnostic manner using technologies such as K8, Terraform, Docker, Chef/Ansible/Puppet.
- Depth of operational experience in complex distributed systems, including defining, measuring and monitoring SLO/SLAs towards high availability and reliability goals
- Excellent abilities in high level service design -- modeling interfaces and internals in a properly modular, composable, and extensible ways.
- Good working knowledge with cloud service providers and highly distributed systems.
- Ability to think at scale, bringing a focus on continuous delivery methodologies from design through deployment and operations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- 7+ years of software development experience including 2+ years leading a team in a DevOps/SRE environment.
As a Technical Lead, Principal you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Grow and mentor a team of passionate engineers to deliver Twilio Flex’s Infrastructure as Code capabilities. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability in delivering software changes. Work closely with both Flex and Twilio Platform teams to drive and adopt emerging best practices and technologies to deliver on the promise of Continuous Deployment.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES - Develop solutions that advance IaC for the entire organization and contribute back ideas and code to the central Twilio Platform organization. Build solutions that delight based on deep understanding of the team’s needs.
- BE BOLD: Drive architecture and building systems for multiple orders of magnitude of growth. Every big idea starts small: open up boundaries and keep raising the bar as solving small problems can bring big results. Never settle and keep pushing yourself and the teams forward.
- DON’T SETTLE: Drive quality, resiliency, and security of infrastructure by managing it through code. Always look for the next opportunity for Twilio to improve our quality, reliability, and security to continuously earn our customers trust.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Evaluate opportunities, risk and technical strategies and provide key findings to internal partners.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
With the launch of Flex, Twilio introduces a new type of platform for applications which has the potential to disrupt traditional monolithic application vendors in the same way API platforms disrupted traditional infrastructure services for communications, compute and payments.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks