Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an experienced Software Engineer to be a part of a team of talented engineers who build and integrate services that continuously improve our ability to provide products to customers while simultaneously delivering industry leading availability. We do this by leveraging technologies that include AWS cloud infrastructure and APIs, Apache Kafka, Rest APIs, while also building our own services or contributing to open source projects.
You will design, architect, and build core platform services, REST APIs and help transition our platform to next generation architecture. Your responsibility will be to help design billing infrastructure that works for all Twilio customers - regardless of their account complexity. We run on AWS cloud infrastructure and use AWS cloud data store, messaging services, MySQL, Redis, and Docker.
You are somebody with:
- 3+ years of work experience building highly scalable products
- Strong experience with Java, Scala or Python
- Experience building scalable software systems and strong background in distributed systems, infrastructure, business logic for APIs or tooling to help debug mission critical applications
- Experience building and debugging high traffic messaging applications
- Excellent experience debugging and scaling production infrastructure and services
- Understanding of AWS infrastructure or similar public cloud providers
- A tenacity for learning - curious, and constantly pushing the boundary of what is possible
- Mentored and led a team of engineers executing medium to large scale projects
- Pioneered and established engineering best practices throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Strong technical and leadership chops - Led technical decisions for your team and influenced technical decisions across your functional domains. Led initiatives/projects that enforce operational reliability factors such as monitoring, performance and capacity planning, security, and disaster response.
- Strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. Thrive on solving complex problems, and has the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- Clear written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to manage and resolve conflict - you have the ability to listen, present, and question effectively
- Self drive - not afraid to take on complete ownership of your tasks and champion efforts to get your tasks to completion
- Ability to rationalize
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Experience building and managing Devops infrastructure
- A+ level debugging skills on production systems
- On call experience debugging mission critical systems
As a Software Engineer, you will you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Document technology decisions and implementations, and support epic and story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify opportunities for improvement across both technology and process. Use your foresight and experience to keep our systems effectively running now and in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring and much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate to support strong team results and build effective working relationships.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Exhibit good priority and time management skills to support sprint commitments.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open source offerings, and integration details. Champion meticulous, high quality engineering and be a role model for software development habits and practices for distributed systems.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and encourage collaborative solutions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and transparency in all your communications and interactions. Use your advanced engineering, communication and organizational skills to ensure we deliver what the business wants and needs.
The Billing Platform is central to Twilio's continued growth. We work closely with senior leadership, product teams, GTM and G&A to support Twilio’s existing business, new products and acquisitions. The success of Twilio is dependent on the success of the Billing Platform and its ability to provide scalable, reliable, intuitive experiences for our internal stakeholders and external customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well-designed office in Madrid or if you don't live in Madrid, you can work from another city. Considering the world’s current circumstances you will start from your home office in Spain.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.