Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a Director of Engineering to be a key leader in driving organization, technology alignment and execution excellence within its flagship messaging suite of products. This role will partner closely with other functions including product, architecture, sales, legal and security to drive solutions to our most challenging problems. This role requires excellent technical and leadership skills paired with business insight and an ability to collaborate with other engineering peers. This role will also contribute to the broader business unit by helping to define and implement a long term product and technology roadmap!
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of direction technology decisions across a wide array of technologies over multi-year timelines. You:
- Have a track record of leading distributed systems engineering and operations teams in SaaS software companies.
- Are an adaptive leader that easily tailors goals and outcomes to the situation at hand.
- Are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. You have the know-how to build an engineering organization bringing together disparate teams, setting expectations and driving for success.
- Coach and Advocate -- you are passionate about developing engineering leaders within your organization and providing an environment for learning and growth.
- Connector -- you have a knack for connecting people and building bridges across different teams and locations.
- Agent of Change -- you demonstrate your communication skills and EQ to facilitate the adoption of what you build.
- Problem Solver -- you utilize your experience and versatile leadership approaches to bring people together and drive problems to resolution.
- Are familiar with agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation.
- Distill complex and ambiguous situations into measurable plans for your team
- Believe in building a culture of learning and teaching across all teams.
- Have excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to present and communicate at all levels of an organization.
- BS in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
As an Engineering Director, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
BE AN OWNER: Work with your team providing engineering leadership and ensuring your resources are solving the most critical engineering problems, while ensuring your products are scalable, performant, and highly available.
DON’T SETTLE: Focused on delivering the highest quality of services, and you support your team as they push production code that impacts thousands of Twilio customers and their customers.
DRAW THE OWL: Set and lead technical vision without having all of the answers. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
EMPOWER OTHERS: Spend time with architects, engineering managers, product managers and developers to create and deliver critical new products and/or features that empower them to introduce change with quality and speed.
BE INCLUSIVE: Make sure to connect with your team, both onsite and remote, to ensure they are delivering on engineering and operational excellence and growing their skills through your leadership.
WRITE IT DOWN: Be a thought leader in your space and share your knowledge in a scalable way by documenting vision and viewpoint and actively contributing to the Architectural Guild.
WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Help resolve technical issues and blockers for internal and external customers
NO SHENANIGANS: Great technical leaders use good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others.. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
Twilio is a fast growing company, rapidly expanding the breadth of our product offerings and the geographies we serve. The Global Twilio team is responsible for one of the major growth vectors for Twilio! We work closely with a broad set of internal stakeholders and international customers to bring the Twilio product portfolio into new markets. Our work has a significant impact on the trajectory of the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located from Tallinn, Estonia with options of office-based, flexible or remote working. You will get to experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.