Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a talented and experienced senior engineering leader to join our Messaging Organization. Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. The Twilio messaging platform enables companies to integrate omni-channel communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach.
The Principal Engineer will be key in driving technology alignment and excellence across it’s flagship suite of products. This role will work across the entire engineering function and partner with other functions including product, sales, legal and security to drive solutions to our most challenging problems. You will oversee our existing messaging software infrastructure and at the same time drive vision, roadmap and strategy for our next-generation software platform
Twilio is looking for a Principal Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of creating and operating highly scalable, stable and secure RESTful services. Following are some of the basic requirements of a candidate to be successful in this position:
- 10+ years of Engineering experience, developing and maintaining high traffic services.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of software development and best practices, for RESTful service implementation.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence and have a track record of delivering to this standard.
- You love to make an impact and thrive in collaborative, energetic teams.
- You can own multiple disparate sets of areas and you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Technical leader and a mentor to junior members of the team.
- Expert level coding skills with Java/Scala, Python and a track record of delivering SaaS using cloud technologies (AWS preferred).
- Built, maintained and tuned solutions with RDBMS backend.
- Experience with distributed systems and hands on with at least a few of the big data technologies such as HBase, Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Cassandra, DynamoDB etc.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
As a Principal Engineer in our messaging channels organization, you will live Twilio values by:
- BE AN OWNER: Own multiple services powering Twilio’s messaging services out of the box software features and supporting infrastructure that enables developers to easily implement common use cases and achieve their business goals
- DRAW THE OWL: Design and develop elegant and scalable solutions across a wide variety of contexts, fronted with a highly available and responsive API guaranteeing 99.999% SLA.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all other engineering teams within Twilio and more specifically within other messaging teams to align on engineering architecture decisions.
- DON’T SETTLE: Focused on delivering the highest quality of services, and you support your team as they push production code that impacts thousands of Twilio customers and their customers.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Be a thought leader in your space and share your knowledge in a scalable way by documenting vision and viewpoint and actively contributing to the Architectural Guild.
Twilio’s innovative SaaS and Connectivity products are transforming how businesses and customers communicate with each other. With customers in every industry, Twilio’s products are changing the way B2C and B2B companies interact with and manage customer relationships. Reporting to the Chief Architect of the messaging business unit, the Principal Architect will own shaping the architecture of a key engineering stack within a product line that is over a billion USD in revenues and still growing over 50% YoY.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is EMEA based. We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.