Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a Senior Software Architect to be a key leader in driving technology alignment and excellence within its flagship messaging suite of products. This role will work across the entire engineering function and partner with other functions including product, sales, legal and security to drive solutions to our most challenging problems. This role requires excellent technical skills paired with business insight and an ability to influence outside of hierarchy. This role will also contribute to the broader Twilio by helping to define and implement a long term company-wide technology roadmap focused on architecture, platform, and data-design.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of direction technology decisions across a wide array of technologies over multi-year timelines.
- Have a track record of designing and building large-scale, cloud-based, highly available software platforms in a high growth environment.
- Experience managing a small team of architects
- You have experience with multi-region architectures and understand topics like data replication and consistency, failover patterns, isolated failure domains, etc.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence and have a track record of delivering to this standard.
- You love to make an impact and thrive in collaborative, energetic teams.
- You can own multiple disparate sets of areas and you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Highly analytical with the ability to translate between strategic business decisions and their quantitative implications
- Thinks critically and objectively; has excellent problem solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business demands
- Detail-oriented with great organizational skills, comfortable with ambiguity
- Are passionate about enabling other developers through your leadership and driving teams to efficient decisions
- Have the ability to balance long-term objectives with urgent short-term needs
- Have demonstrated the ability to design complex systems in an iterative and evolutionary manner.
As an Architect, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Work with your team providing engineering leadership and ensuring your resources are solving the most critical engineering problems, while ensuring your products are scalable, performant, and highly available.
- DON’T SETTLE: Focused on delivering the highest quality of services, and you support your team as they push production code that impacts thousands of Twilio customers and their customers.
- DRAW THE OWL: Set and lead technical vision without having all of the answers. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Spend time with engineering managers, product managers and developers to create and deliver critical new products and/or features that empower them to introduce change with quality and speed.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Make sure to connect with your team, both onsite and remote, to ensure they are delivering on engineering and operational excellence and growing their skills through your leadership.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Be a thought leader in your space and share your knowledge in a scalable way by documenting vision and viewpoint and actively contributing to the Architectural Guild.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Help resolve technical issues and blockers for internal and external customers
- NO SHENANIGANS: Great technical leaders use good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others.. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
Twilio’s innovative SaaS and Connectivity products are transforming how businesses and customers communicate with each other. With customers in every industry, Twilio’s products are changing the way B2C and B2B companies interact with and manage customer relationships. Reporting to the Chief Architect of the messaging business unit, the Software Architect will own shaping the architecture of a key engineering stack within a product line that is over a billion USD in revenues and still growing over 50% YoY.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
$194,752.00 - $243,440
Rest of Colorado:
$182,580 - $228,225
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks