Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. We believe that communication should be at the heart of every product and customer experience. Flex is our contact center product that enables mission critical customer communications for businesses such as Lyft, Shopify and many others.
We are looking for a skilled leader able to shepherd growth and direction for the Application Services product group comprising our Agent Desktop, Reporting and Onboarding teams. Successful candidates will have technical depth of understanding engineering client side systems, user interfaces and backend systems along with managerial chops to support our broad customer base, rapid growth rate, and the scale at which we’re currently operating. They must be passionate about building teams, multiplying technical leaders, and collaboration, understanding that everyone in the room has a voice, and that more diverse voices make better teams.
Twilio is looking for a manager who lives the Twilio Magic and has:
- You have a track record of leading distributed systems engineering and operations teams in SaaS software companies.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. You have the know-how to build an engineering organization bringing together disparate teams, setting expectations and driving for success.
- You have the technical ability to understand software, telecommunications, network and recognize areas of product integration, discuss product roadmaps, and engage with product managers.
- You have experience shipping client side software driven user experiences and working with APIs.
- Coach and Advocate -- you are passionate about developing engineering leaders within your organization and providing an environment for learning and growth.
- Connector -- you have a knack for connecting people and building bridges across different teams and locations.
- Agent of Change -- you demonstrate your communication skills and EQ to facilitate the adoption of what you build.
- Problem Solver -- you utilize your experience and versatile leadership approaches to bring people together and drive problems to resolution.
- You have excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to present and communicate at all levels of an organization.
- Solid understanding of agile methodologies, continuous integration, test automation and data driven decision making.
- The ability to distill complex and ambiguous situations into aligned priorities with meaningful plans for your team.
- You have a minimum of 5 years of people management experience leading several teams.
- BS in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
As a Director of Engineering, you will:
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Curate, lead and grow a team of passionate engineers and managers. Provide support and mentorship that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained quality, predictability and high velocity.
- DRAW THE OWL: Encourage your teams to find progressive ways to solve problems; adopt new technologies and strategies where applicable.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Work with product managers, architects and engineering managers to set the direction for the wider organization. Build and ensure a safe and inclusive environment where all voices can be heard.
- BE AN OWNER: Take ownership of products and services related to your teams and drive ownership through your teams.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Evaluate opportunities, risk and technical strategies and provide key findings to internal partners.
- BE BOLD & DON’T SETTLE: Every big idea starts small, open up boundaries and keep raising the bar as solving small problems can bring big results. Never settle and keep pushing yourself and the teams forward.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Aim for a high quality bar, do not compromise on customer experience and consider customer trust your number one priority.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
With the launch of Flex, Twilio introduces a new type of platform for applications which has the potential to disrupt traditional monolithic application vendors in the same way API platforms disrupted traditional infrastructure services for communications, compute and payments.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we’re dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our office in Central London (Soho Square), though considering the world’s current circumstances it will start as remote from your home in the UK. We offer true ownership of your own work, great salary package, Twilio RSUs (stock, NYSE: TWLO), mobile phone, fitness and wellness reimbursement and private medical healthcare options including dental plan.
What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook. Do you want to experience all of this with the best people? Join us!
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.