Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing and so is our Platform Engineering team!
Platform Engineering is Twilio’s strategic investment in reliability and efficiency; We are responsible for the core compute, connectivity and software delivery systems which provide the foundation for all products at Twilio. Platform is busy building our next-generation offering at Twilio, based on Terraform, Cloud Native technologies, and AWS.
Connectivity underpins the development and expansion of everything at Twilio. We are looking for an experienced Cloud Networking Architect to join us to support our growing Platform Network Infrastructure team.
Ready to make an impact? You will design and guide the implementation of the networking infrastructure to connect our virtual and physical data centers. You will contribute to the overall Architecture team organization at Twilio; advocating our architectural review processes; composing, grooming and editing your own team’s architectural Blueprints, actively reviewing peer team Blueprints, and keeping Platform aligned with Twilio’s needs, company-wide.
This role is at the intersection of the biggest infrastructure initiatives at Twilio, from our global expansion through Regional Twilio; Multi-Account rollout in our PaaS, hybrid- and multi-cloud projects; and last but not least, our Kubernetes-based Container Platform effort. Take Twilio to the next level of global scale, forming the foundation for our multi-region, multi-cloud expansion.
As a part of Platform Engineering, this role offers you the opportunity to work with teams across the world to empower our developers, accelerate our time to market, and fuel our long-term technology strategy.
Twilio is looking for a seasoned Cloud Network Architect who lives the Twilio Magic and who will bring deep experience in networking and large scale systems principles to the table. You are passionate about operational excellence and know how to build a systems architecture that delivers it. You are able to think at scale, define, and meet the highest availability and performance SLAs while ensuring quality and resiliency challenges across our diverse product and tech stacks are addressed. You also:
- Strong opinions on proven practices for managing an enterprise network, and a strong understanding of open networking trends and innovations, including software defined networking and platform architectures.
- Experience practicing NetDevOps to manage large scale enterprise cloud deployments, and have engineered networks for multi-cloud, hybrid cloud and Kubernetes deployments on major IaaS providers.
- Experience developing networking features and capabilities for large-scale Telecom infrastructures including network engineering, tooling/API development, open-source contributions, etc. Recognize areas of product integration, discuss product roadmaps, engage with product managers, and write down ideas/requirements/specifications for network tooling.
- Effective communicator to all levels including C-level execs.
- Advanced experience of full networking stack (routing, switching and optical networking), including key protocols & standards (e.g. TCP/IP, BGP, IGP, MPLS), DNS, Linux networking and open-source solutions.
- Experience with service provider networks (backbone / edge networks, QoS engineering), multi-cloud / hybrid network architecture, disaggregated systems.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related engineering field, or equivalent experience. A Master of Science or higher degree is preferred.
- 10+ years of network engineering/architecture and relevant technology experience.
As a Network Architect, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DON’T SETTLE: Build for long term reliability and scale while cultivating a team and team culture that can support the network long-term and at scale.
- BE AN OWNER: Provide engineering leadership and ensure our resources are solving the most critical engineering problems, while ensuring our products are scalable, performant, and highly available.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Collaborate with engineering managers and tech leads, enabling them to create and deliver critical new products and/or features that align with our strategic objectives.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Engage with other leaders and teams to ensure they are delivering on engineering and operational excellence and growing their skills through your leadership.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Show the way through crystal clear communication; share your knowledge in a scalable way by documenting vision and viewpoint and by contributing actively to the Architecture Guild.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
Platform Engineering is a lever for reliability and efficiency at Twilio. Our mission is to “Make Twilio reliable for customers and efficient for engineers.” Engineering in Platform means understanding the evolving needs of today’s Twilio Engineers and delivering products that will meet their needs today as well as meet their needs over the next 3-5 years.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is a US/Remote position. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $132,928.00 - $182,776.00
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $116,312.00 - $159,929.00
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks