Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Staff Technical Writer to join our internal enablement team! The person in this role will assist in all aspects related to internal documentation, from the research and strategy phase to execution to ongoing maintenance of our supporting processes and docs.
Responsibilities can include anything from assisting in user research interviews to helping research content management solutions, but the daily tasks will relate to delivering internal documentation to support the R&D department. This position is for an individual who can comfortably tackle long-term, complex technical writing projects in a self-directed manner. You should be as skilled at collaborating closely with SMEs and obtaining key information as you are with efficiently compiling that information and translating it into a language and format tailored to your specific audience(s). Reporting to the R&D Enablement team, this position plays a key role in building Twilio’s internal knowledge base.
Twilio is looking for a Technical Writer who lives the Twilio Magic and:
- Is skilled in writing, editing, and communication
- Is passionate about learning in general and seeks out directed professional development to improve their current skill set
- Finds core satisfaction in empowering others through efficient sharing of knowledge. Enjoys serving as a knowledge resource and taking ownership of all responsibilities the role entails
- Is proactive in sharing observations and proposing solutions for improvement
- Can manage responsibilities for multiple high-impact concurrent projects. Knows how to prioritize, meet deadlines, and communicate progress and needs effectively
- Thrives in communicating with stakeholders/subject matter experts at all levels. Is an effective researcher and can think creatively to get requested information
- Can function with a high level of independence on self-directed projects but is not afraid to reach out for help or clarification as needed
- Has strong technical skills and is very comfortable with established and emerging technologies. Has experience with the cloud, APIs, and collaborative content
- Has the ability to gather, evaluate, and distill complex, highly technical information into easily understandable content in user-friendly formats
- Is comfortable both providing and accepting feedback. Adept at evaluating constructive feedback and using the relevant parts to improve output and processes
- Has 5+ years experience in technical writing, editing, communications, or a related field
- Has a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
As the Technical Writer for the R&D Enablement team, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Learn about your audience (the R&D organization), find out how to communicate with them most effectively, then conceptualize and deliver documentation solutions that exceed expectations.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Assist your team and organizational subject matter experts in the creation and delivery of standardized, discoverable, and trackable internal documentation content, processes, and frameworks.
- DRAW THE OWL: Be observant; identify gaps and suggest strategies for improvement.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Set your goals, write them down, then document a strategy for implementation, including milestones and key metrics.
- BE AN OWNER: Contribute to all aspects of internal enablement, including strategy formation, content creation, iteration, and optimization.
- BE BOLD: Dig deep — with yourself and others — to draw out the best information, ideas, strategies, and solutions. If there’s a better way, help discover it and find ways to apply it. Be comfortable with risk; don’t be afraid to share your most creative, out-of-the-box suggestions.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Maintain alignment with our top goals and milestones (both the company’s overarching goals as well as your team’s goals) and make sure you’re organizing your work accordingly. If you’re unsure about priority, get comfortable with asking leadership to clarify our most pressing needs.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Be honest about where you’re at and what you can and can’t do. If you have a question, ask it. If you don’t have the skills to complete an assigned task, let us know so we can get you the coaching/professional development you need. If you can’t complete something in time, let us know as early as possible in the process.
- DON’T SETTLE: Assess quality honestly and be prepared to speak up and be part of the solution if content or processes need amending.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Twilio is a global company, with a wide breadth of cultures and regional norms. Building content and processes that scale regionally and are inclusive of our audience is of the utmost importance.
Twilio’s culture is rooted in empowering others, whether it be our customers or our internal employees. As our R&D organization expands, building a strong, consistent, useful, and accessible source of knowledge is paramount in ensuring our employees feel empowered to be successful in their jobs.
As a Technical Writer, you have the unique opportunity to help streamline and improve internal processes and make crucial information more easily accessible to members of the R&D organization and beyond. You also have the opportunity to interact with a variety of teams and receive on-the-job mentorship and support to help you grow your skills and advance in your career.
Twilio is truly unique: We are a rapidly growing company committed to your development, your growth, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Berlin, Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore, and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status, as outlined in our public policy on Culture, Inclusion, and Belonging. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$90,752 - $124,784
Rest of Colorado:
$79,408 - $109,186
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks