Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Engineer into the Messaging Trust team that focuses on the global service scaling, reliability and continuity for Twilio customers. Trust team will play a key role in executing Twilio infrastructure regionalization strategy.
Twilio is looking for an engineer who lives the the Twilio Magic and is excited to take on complex engineering challenges in the fast-growing business of communications.
From you as a candidate, we expect:
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and the performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Operations. You like to own a domain end to end, including deploying and operating your services in production.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop a quality pipeline requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Java/JVM. Most of our backend systems are in JVM based languages. You must have professional level experience in at least one of these languages.
- Databases. You have experience with multiple storage technologies and can reason about how to choose the suitable storage technology for a given purpose.
- Communication and collaboration. You have strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: You will be dealing with challenges that we do not have ready-made answers for.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will own a problem domain from problem definition, through design and implementation, to operating your product in live environment. You will need to be bold to make hard decisions as you walk through uncharted territories.
- DON’T SETTLE: Live and champion mature, high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, documenting your work, etc
- WRITE IT DOWN: Twilio is a global, fast-growing company that builds complex systems. To be successful in joining these globally built complex parts of the system, you are expected to write down the analysis, requirements and designs. Doing so helps distill your approach and explain the rationale in a structured and transparent manner.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You will primarily collaborate with other Messaging teams globally, as well with the rest of the Twilio engineering.
The Messaging team is central to Twilio's continued growth. Messaging is one of the key products Twilio is offering, used by thousands of customers and millions of end-users daily. We build and manage the whole infrastructure required for offering the Messaging service to these customers. We have had significant growth over the past years and as this growth continues, trust and regionalisation of the software becomes even more important to our global customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Dublin office in Ireland. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.