Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio's IoT/Wireless Team is looking for a Software Engineering Manager who leads and coaches a team of software engineers who build the foundation of Twilio’s Mobile Core. This distributed cloud service is the backbone of Twilio’s IoT products. It is complex, highly available and scales to the demands of IoT devices. It enables customers to connect their IoT devices around the globe with low latency and resilience against mobile network issues.
You work with specialists in the world of software development and telecommunications. As their manager you take pride in their success, coach and grow them to their best performance and ensure that the team keeps a high quality bar.
This job is for you if you take pride in building high performance teams, growing individual talent and careers.
Twilio is looking for an engineering manager who lives the Twilio Magic:
- You have 3+ years of experience in leading and managing teams of 5 or more.
- You have been a developer yourself with a minimum five years hands-on experience developing or testing production services.
- Experience managing engineers in a high technical and complex operations environment is highly desired.
- You have operated production services, experience in monitoring and resolving operational issues.
- You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- You are pragmatic and have business instinct to balance between requirements and highest engineering standards.
- You are able to dive deep, remove ambiguity in requirements and motivate the team to deliver the best in class solution.
- You are a master of agile processes, continuous integration and test automation.
As Software Engineering Manager, you will:
- BE AN OWNER: Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code. Lead reviews of architecture design.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- DRAW THE OWL: The world of IoT is complex and new requirements pop up every day that require you to reinvent, think outside the box and come up with solutions that are unconventional within the boundaries of telecommunication standards.
- DON'T SETTLE: As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
- Travel to our San Francisco office a few times per year may be required.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world's telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use yet robust enough to power the world's most demanding applications.
With the launch of Twilio Wireless, we are doing the same for the world of IoT. Our vision is that soon, the Internet of Things will truly live up to its name: anything that can benefit from being connected to the internet (i.e., all the things) will be — cheaply, reliably, and with the ease of use that Twilio is famous for.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling complicated problems and creating your ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
You can choose between working in Berlin or remotely from Germany.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers' experience; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture to empower everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.