Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio’s Edge Proxy team is looking for someone who is interested in joining the Edge Proxy team within the Commons Platform organization to help ensure that our customers can access and use our REST APIs. We seek a motivated, empathetic, customer-serving engineer and leader who wants to help Twilio fuel the future of communication. The person in this role will receive exposure to the unique set of challenges and opportunities that come from scaling global services that run at 99.999% availability.
Twilio is looking for a collaborative team member who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of engineering highly available, scalable infrastructure. They also have:
- 3-5 years experience in backend software engineering with some exposure to code written in a functional style.
- Strong preference for someone with prior experience with service oriented architecture, microservices, or APIs.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Fluency in one programming language and experience with a few.
- Have the technical ability to understand software development lifecycle and recognize areas of product integration, discuss product roadmaps, engage with product managers, mentor software engineers, and plan the “how” of software development.
- Technically savvy and experience with the cloud, APIs, communications, networking, and distributed systems is a plus.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Develop solid plans for the “how” of engineering, communicating software architecture and design to the team and stakeholders, and creating effective run-books for operational maturity..
- DRAW THE OWL: Ask yourself “what could go wrong” at every turn to help ensure the stability and reliability of this critical service.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of software development from planning to code reviews to service operation.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across a multitude of teams within Twilio, mentor and grow more junior engineers, and have significant exposure to our edge, foundation, and platform leadership.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure customer trust and service reliability remain at the forefront of our priorities maintaining a growth mindset.
Twilio’s Edge Proxy team is responsible for the ingest of Twilio’s REST API. An edge platform team, our API layer is a high-availability, low-latency translating proxy that processes all of Twilio’s inbound REST API traffic -- over 10 billion API requests a week -- with exceptionally high uptime, availability, and success rates. Our modern, cloud-native gateway uses a functional Java style to handle all incoming HTTP requests for Twilio’s API. Our team takes great pride in operational maturity, customer trust, and service reliability.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.