At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use.
Who we are:
The Segment Personas team is building a new platform to enable the holy grail of customer data — the single view of the customer. Our team’s goal is to help Segment customers gain a higher level understanding of their end users, and to interact with them in a scalable fashion.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Personas Tooling team, you’ll help lead the design and building of the tools that help this immense product run smoothly. You’ll also create observability and testing solutions on pipelines that process hundreds of thousands of requests per second, build realtime identity graphs, and compute billions of data points an hour. As you grow the team alongside a strong technical EM, you’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success.
What we do:
- We write cost-efficient load-tested data pipelines and compute systems built on top of them.
- We believe in using the best tool for the job. Our ingestion pipelines are written in Go. We write customer facing features using React, NodeJS and GraphQL. We use both DataDog and Grafana internally, and have an in-house distributed tracing system
- We load test our pipelines to hundreds of thousands of messages/sec. We then optimize the system’s cost to achieve strong unit economics.
- We believe in open source as a market differentiator: https://open.segment.com
Who we are looking for:
- You thrive in a fast paced and iterative environment. You are driven more by customer impact than technology.
- You love designing and shipping new products as much as iterating on existing ones.
- You're focused, driven, and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow.
- You have experience running services in production and take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring, and error tracking.
- You can design and implement distributed systems solutions that are highly durable and (eventually) consistent.
Projects we’re working on
- Making a world class developer experience for our Personas engineers. We’re scrutinizing all the tools they use to evolve and operate our product and making them better
- Building systems to provide end-to-end visibility of customer data delivery and the latency of our pipeline
- A debugger that allows us to send mock events through our pipeline from end to end, all while profiling performance, and eventually doing this at scale
- Figuring out a one-button approach to deleting bad data from our systems
- 4+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- Preferably, solid experience building and iterating on observability of large-scale distributed systems
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- You love the challenge of observing and smoothing the operations of distributed systems
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services.
- Desired: Professional experience with Go, NodeJS, and public cloud solutions.
A bit about Segment:
- We started small and have done a lot and have big ambitions.
- We love open source and also support it with paid fellowships and sponsorship.
- People love working at Segment.
- We love talking about what we learned in public and in private.
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you!
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.