Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio's IoT/Wireless Team is looking for a Staff Software Engineer who wants a leading role in design, development, operation of Twilio's Mobile Core. This distributed cloud service is the backbone of Twilio’s IoT products. It enables customers to connect their IoT devices around the globe with low latency and resilience against mobile network issues.
This job is for you if you take pride in building and evolving large scale distributed systems in the cloud with a high degree of fault tolerance and a high operational bar so that our customers can rely on Twilio IoT.
Twilio IoT/Wireless is the IoT business unit at Twilio. The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and on-demand global reach. Twilio abstracts away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network, carrier integrations, and relationships around the globe. Twilio IoT/Wireless aims to do the same for IoT Connectivity.
Twilio's Mobile Core is what powers Twilio's Super SIM. It enables unprecedented control and flexibility over how your IoT devices interact with cellular networks and put our customers in the driver's seat to drive innovation in the IoT market.
You should have some or all of the following:
- 6+ years of Engineering experience, developing and maintaining high traffic services.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of software engineering best practices for distributed, fault tolerant systems
- Technical leader and a mentor to junior members of the team.
- You developed and maintained for 3+ years distributed, scalable production services in the cloud
- Expert level coding skills on JVM based languages and preferably experience in C
- Solid knowledge of Linux based systems
- A good understanding of protocols and network technology beyond TCP
- Thorough understanding of fundamental software engineering, e.g., algorithms, data structures, concurrency, object oriented programming concepts, design patterns, and SOLID principles
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be part of a cross-functional team and drive the design, development, and operation of Twilio's cloud-based Mobile Core. This software has high performance, scalability, and stability demands from our customers. Our customers rely on the Mobile Core to deliver mobile connectivity around the world to concentrate on developing their use case.
In this role:
- BE AN OWNER: Drive innovation and insist of highest standards in building, maintaining, expanding and releasing Twilio’s Mobile Core without downtimes
- BE BOLD: Put into practice, fundamentals of distributed systems, to design new systems and keep the existing systems scale to an ever growing demand
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Lead and mentor your junior teammates and experienced specialists.
- DRAW THE OWL: You will be working in a team of experts in mobile computing and a diverse set of technologies that require new ways of applying your experience to the challenges of mobile wireless communications
- DON’T SETTLE: Drive quality by writing unit tests, functional tests, and performance tests in a continuous delivery environment.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world's telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use yet robust enough to power the world's most demanding applications.
With the launch of Twilio Wireless, we are doing the same for the world of IoT. Our vision is that soon, the Internet of Things will truly live up to its name: anything that can benefit from being connected to the internet (i.e., all the things) will be — cheaply, reliably, and with the ease of use that Twilio is famous for.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling complicated problems and creating your ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
You can choose between working in Berlin or remotely from countries like United Kingdom or Ireland, France, Spain, Czech Republic, Estonia or Sweden.
This position will be either fully remote or you can work from an Twilio Office in the countries listed above. The main development hub for Twilio IoT is in Berlin, Germany.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers' experience; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture to empower everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world's communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world's most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world's largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.