Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Director of Product Management for our Reliability and Response organization. The Reliability and Response organization drives reliability, operability, cloud efficiency, and observability across Twilio through effective collaboration, facilitation, and product strategy execution.
As Product Management Director, you will lead and grow a team of Product Managers who impact every team across Twilio. You will manage and expand a diverse portfolio of internal products and services that maintain our commitment of trust to our customers. This includes an emerging Observability platform, traditional logging/monitoring infrastructure, SRE systems and tools, Incident Management systems, and other systems and processes required to keep Twilio’s platform infrastructure efficient and healthy. You will partner closely with senior management and engineering leadership to ensure success.
This position reports to the Product Management Leader for Platform Engineering. If you are deeply passionate about keeping customers happy and enabling Twilio engineers, you are probably a great fit for our team.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of leading platform products that can scale. The ideal candidate has:
- 10+ years of experience as a Product Management leader in a fast-paced company focused on delivering software.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and thrives operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services.
- Developed the product vision, the business case--including the product planning material necessary for driving product initiatives further with clarity and consensus.
- Hired, trained, and managed teams of Product Managers focused on Reliability and Response.
- The ability to solicit customer and stakeholder requirements from many - often competing - sources, prioritize, and work with engineering and design to deliver
- Experience managing products at various stages of maturity, from legacy to greenfield.
- Possesses strong technical acumen – you can communicate effectively with engineering management and architects; frontline stakeholders and program leads; software vendors and Twilio finance.
- Deep understanding of globally-operated Cloud Services/Platforms (preferably AWS) and massive scale APIs.
- Experience evaluating, negotiating and integrating with SaaS vendors.
- Expertise with quantifying business needs and developing KPIs.
- Collaborative mindset and ability to work with distributed, cross-functional teams.
- Solid communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate both your point of view and that of your customers and stakeholders.
- Strong communicator fluent in written and verbal English.
- Curious, empathetic, with a good sense of humor.
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
As a Product Management on the Platform Engineering team, you will be expected to live the Twilio Magic and:
BE AN OWNER
- Own the vision and execute the roadmap for your portfolio of products and services–communicate both the business value and the technical rationale behind your product decisions.
DRAW THE OWL
- Identify and qualify new products, services, and processes to improve site reliability, performance engineering, incident management, and observability solutions.
- Identify necessary reports, metrics, and analysis to measure the effectiveness and validate the success of completed projects.
- Hire, teach, grow Product Managers to scale the organization and its capabilities.
WRITE IT DOWN
- Develop and document multi-year strategies to improve and preserve Twilio’s operational excellence and infrastructure efficiency.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication - ensure that complex ideas, thoughts, and vision can be communicated simply and effectively. You are expected to thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES
- Seek out and gather needs of our engineers, our customers, and our cross-functional stakeholders–translate and synthesize them into actionable products/product requirements.
- Maintain laser focus on MVPs, iterative product development, and releasing immediate/tangible value to engineers–learn and adjust frequently.
- Manage your overall portfolio/roadmap for on-time development and release of customer value–ensure that engineering is working on the right things at the right time.
- Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and discretion in evaluating products, conducting due diligence, and negotiating prioritization with stakeholders and engineering partners.
The Twilio Core Platform organization empowers every Twilio developer to be their best at Twilio. The Reliability and Response Platforms are a critical pillar in the Platform organization. We work closely with senior leadership and all product teams to enable our engineers to ship fast with confidence, while ensuring the efficient use of resources and providing an amazing customer experience, even in times of crisis. Our team of talented Product Managers owns the vision and roadmap that delivers value to our Twilio engineers and customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We are looking to fill this position in the United States (p. However, we will consider all highly qualified applicants in the US and the EU. What you get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.