Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Incident Commander. The Incident Commander is the decision-maker during a major incident; Delegating tasks and listening to input from subject matter professionals to bring the incident to resolution. They become the highest-ranking individual on any major incident call, regardless of their day-to-day rank. Their decisions made as commander are final.
Twilio is looking for an Incident Commander to lead all high priority incidents, provide clear coordination, recruiting others to collect context/details. You will be delegating tasks across business units, roles and all levels of the company. You are always considering next steps and backup plans at every opportunity, in an effort to avoid getting stuck without any clear options to proceed and to keep things moving towards resolution
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Can communicate appropriately with customers at both technical and C Levels.
- Has high-level knowledge of how the different Twilio services agree with each other
- Ability to size-up a situation, assess the efficiency of various tactics/strategies, and make rapid decisions on appropriate courses of action
- Has flexibility, and is able to listen to expert feedback, modifying plans on-the-fly as vital
- Has been involved in multiple high-severity, high priority incident responses, either as a spectator or as an active participant
- Understands how to use The 5 Whys to ask questions that get to the real root of the problem
- Has certification(s) in Incident Management (CEIM), Security Incident Management (CSIRT), program management/project management, Six Sigma, Scrum, or similar
- Has gravitas, takes command, and is willing to kick people off a call to remove distractions, even if it's the CEO
- BE AN OWNER: Orchestrate all incident management responses for high priority incidents. Be responsible for the incident record, ensuring the accuracy of data across teams, products, timelines, root cause, severity, and customer impact
- DON’T SETTLE: Ensure all vital teams are actively engaged in the impact assessment, triage, and remediation of incidents
- WRITE IT DOWN: Ensure timely and relevant communications and customer concerns are delivered to partners within SLA
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Lead all high severity incident post mortems and betterment identification, tracking, and delivery to help make all teams better.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Ensure high-quality RFOs are delivered to customers within SLA. Handle significant customer issues that do not rise to the level of a widespread outage.
- DRAW THE OWL: Diagnose and resolve process issues with customer partner concerns that impede responsiveness
Building and retaining customer trust is our number 1 priority at Twilio. At no time is that trust more tested than when customers experience an outage (an incident in our terminology). Equally there is no greater opportunity to solidify customer trust when we respond appropriately to these situations. Incident command plays a pivotal role in leading incidents to preserve and build customer trust and therefore is a role crucial to us realizing our mission at Twilio.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to seeking hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Denver. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an expansive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has modernized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.