Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Engineer (L3) to be a key contributor on our Email Platform team, where you will develop and maintain highly scalable services used to deliver over 3 billion emails a day. The person in this role will bring with them the ability to write and support backend services, communicate effectively with cross-functional teams across geographical time zones, and have a tremendous drive to hone their craft.
This position is ideal for an individual who can operate independently to solve common coding problems, can work with a team to break down and prioritize work, and has a good understanding and experience working in a software development life cycle. This individual is a self-learner and self-starter who is a competent developer looking to refine their skills.
Building a platform requires people from a variety of engineering backgrounds. Twilio is looking for Software Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has:
- 4+ years of software development experience building applications in Golang or Java.
- Experience building and operating distributed systems on a large scale.
- Demonstrated track record in service ownership; developing and operating reliable and maintainable services.
- Demonstrated track record of quality mindset; customer-focused, use automation to validate you are building high-quality systems.
- Understanding of cloud technologies and experience in at least one cloud platform: AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Experience delivering software using Containers/Kubernetes.
- Strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
- Degree in Computer Science or similar experience.
- Experience with Kafka data pipelining.
- Experience with RDBMS design and standard methodologies.
- Experience with networking and security engineering.
- Familiarity with software development in an Agile environment.
As a Software Engineer (L3), you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Document technology decisions and implementations, and support epic and story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Find opportunities for improvement across both technology and process. Use your foresight and experience to keep our systems effectively running now and in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring, and much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open-source offerings, and integration details. Champion meticulous, high-quality engineering.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate to support strong team results and build effective working relationships.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and encourage collaborative solutions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and transparency in all your communications and interactions. Use your engineering, communication, and organizational skills to ensure we deliver what the business wants and needs.
The Twilio SendGrid Email Platform is responsible for delivering about 3 billion emails a day. As an engineer on the Email Platform team, you will have a hands-on impact in building and operating our high-scale email system that continues to grow at a substantial rate year over year.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $109,824 - $151,008
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $96,096 - $132,132
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks