Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What and Why
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. We do that by focusing relentlessly on building the most robust, programmable, customer-centric communications platform in the world. The Programmable Voice & Video platform reaches more than two million developers globally. The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach.
Supporting customers internationally means supporting high performance, no matter where customers live. Customers expect fast call setup, micro-second API responses, and built-in regional failover and recovery. As a Manager in Programmable Voice, you will guide the engineering team through the implementation of real-time voice services using Java microservices, while demonstrating standards such as SIP, RTP, WebRTC and HTTP.
The ideal candidate has a consistent track record of building highly effective technical teams. You are:
- A leader with 5+ years of people management responsibilities for teams of 4-6. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and empower top talent. You are curious, collaborative, and humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- Experienced working with teams in globally remote offices and easily sync with colleagues around the world
- A strategic problem solver and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services! As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into meaningful plans for your team. You are someone who has solved complex problems and has the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- Extraordinary at agile processes, continuous integration and test automation! Ideally you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- A developer yourself, with a minimum of five years hands-on experience developing and scaling Java or similar technical stacks. Experience managing engineers in a high technical and complex operations environment is highly desired. Ideally, you have experience in a production cloud / DevOps environment.
- Lead and grow teams of passionate engineers through their journey to Agile Maturity. Provide support and guidance that enables teams to self-organize and achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Institute development standard methodologies to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code. Lead reviews of architecture design.
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Work with our central design team to ensure consistency across our user experiences.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with partners and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- To take it to scale, you will be managing a complex distributed platform with points of presence globally and will be concerned with availability, throughput, latency, media fidelity as well as real-time considerations.
- There will be some data components so you will be working with distributed SQL and NoSQL databases and caches. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.