Principal Backend Engineer, Personas Profiles - Segment
The Who, What, Why and Where
As a Software Engineer on the Personas team, you’ll lead the design and building of pipelines that process hundreds of thousands of requests per second, build realtime identity graphs, and compute billions of data points an hour. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
- You thrive in a fast paced and iterative environment. You are driven more by customer impact than technology.
- You're focused, driven, and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow.
- You have experience running services in production and take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring, and error tracking.
- You can design and implement distributed systems solutions that are highly durable and (eventually) consistent.
- 8+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language.
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts.
- Well-versed in concurrent programming.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services.
- Desired but not required: Professional experience with Go, and public cloud solutions.
- DRAW THE OWL: Scaling stateful distributed systems like Personas takes dedication and iterations.
- BE BOLD: We are all owners of the products we are building, everyone is empowered to drive the systems forward and set a new standard.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your team grow.
- NO SHENANIGANS: You believe in being open and transparent with your team. Whenever you see an opportunity for feedback you provide it in a timely, clear and direct way.
This is a high stakes project, as Personas Profiles is the cornerstone of the new features being envisioned and shipped to customers. We need to unlock the next order of magnitude of scale, and set ourselves up as a platform to support a growing number of features without linearly growing in complexity. Personas is at the beginning of a new iteration. It is transforming from a side-pipeline to a standalone platform with Profiles at its core.
Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands of messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed, realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform: Segment Audiences for real time audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for real time personalization.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$146,000 - $201,080
Rest of Colorado:
$127,960 - $175,945
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks