Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a BI Engineer to be a key member of the Platform Engineering organization with the focus on data engineering services based in Bengaluru, India. As one of the early engineers in the Platform Engineering’s Operational Insights organization in Bengaluru, you will have an opportunity to help define our technical and team culture in India! You will also help us build solutions that deliver impactful intelligence from a number of critical systems, ensuring that Twilio is the leader in trusted communications. As a successful candidate, you must have a deep background in data engineering, data visualization, and a consistent track record of solving data problems at scale. You are a self-starter, embody a growth attitude, and collaborate effectively across the entire Twilio organization.
Twilio is looking for a strong BI engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of working with data, specifically; sourcing and integrating data from multiple disparate backend data sources, developing reporting infrastructures and applying a deep analytics background to assess business/operational performance to deliver practical insights. You should also have:
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in a role requiring application of analytic skills to integrate data into operational/business planning
- Extensive knowledge & experience with BI and Visualization platforms, preferably Looker & Tableau.
- Ability to draw insights from data and clearly communicate them (verbal/written) to the partners and senior management.
- Working knowledge of large data manipulation, data mining using SQL and data warehousing on highly available SQL and non-relational (NoSQL and distributed) database management systems.
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language, Python, R, or similar for data manipulation & analytics
- Strong expertise in solving production issues.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Strong belief in automation over toil.
As a BI Engineer you will:
- BE AN OWNER:
- Design, develop, and maintain data pipelines, warehouses, and reporting systems to support Twilio’s product engineering operational data: incidents, deployments, performance, utilization, defects, change failure rate, test data, infrastructure costs.
- Build the data products that technical users will depend on for business intelligence and ad-hoc access.
- Build scalable solutions and self-serve platforms that will provide data and Key Performance Indicators to inform business decision making.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Develop and maintain documentation relating to all assigned systems and projects
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Develop high-trust relationships and processes with partner teams and stakeholders to identify and address the requirements
- DRAW THE OWL:
- Participate in workstreams planning process including inception, technical design, development, testing and delivery of BI solutions. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate!
- Be able to understand complex architectures and be comfortable working with different teams.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE : Adapt to prioritizing multiple issues in a high-pressure environment.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
The Operational Insights team is central to Twilio's continued growth. Our mission is to provide practical insights from a vast number of different systems, arming engineering teams with the knowledge they need to continuously improve their quality, security, and velocity. To do this we need to continue to develop and evolve our products and services and ensure they are able to scale; driving Twilio to new heights of scale.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bengaluru, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves!
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.