Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
The Twilio Venture Program (TVP) works with the top VCs in the world, supporting their eligible Series A portfolio companies to facilitate scaling through credits, discounts, elevated support, and unique opportunities. This program is the eyes and ears of Twilio’s most compelling startup ecosystem, and receives significant attention from Twilio’s top leadership.
As Global Business Development Manager, Twilio Venture Program on the Twilio Global Business Development team, you will have the unique opportunity to help refine the strategy, introduce creative value additions / efficiencies, work with innovative funds and founders, and continue to build this program aimed at expanding engagement with, and usage of Twilio’s communication platform with some of the most promising Series A startups--and VCs--in the world.
Twilio is seeking a Business Development professional who lives the Twilio Magic has startup operator and VC experience, with the network, credibility, and know-how to engage with the founders / CXOs of startups and their investors. She or he will have a clear-cut ability to earn trust and work cross-functionally within the Twilio organization and directly with partners. A keen sense of ownership, drive, and willingness to get it done, or draw the owl, while knowing when and where to seek help from others. She/he also has:
- 4+ years of startup, corporate development or venture capital background, performing early-stage company due diligence and valuation
- MBA or equivalent executive-level experience a plus, but not required
- Dependable, with strong attention to detail, and ability to juggle multiple responsibilities at once: these skill sets are critical to success in this role
- Deep experience and knowledge within the global startup and VC ecosystem as a founder, investor, or operator
- Familiarity with corporate innovation processes best practices, including innovation centers, JVs, partnerships and acquisitions
- Low ego with a demonstrated track record for jumping in to work effectively across internal and external organizations
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency, discriminate between critical and non-critical requirements, and prioritize tasks accordingly
- Strategic - Provide proactive, meaningful insight & identification of long-term or overall aims and interests and the means of achieving them
- Decisive - Uses a framework or process by which to make decisions. At times, will need to make decisions quickly and often with incomplete data
- Persuasive - “Write it down” and bring others to their point of view using your strong communication skills, logic, data, and persuasive presentation skills. Have a formal process and framework by which to make qualitative and quantitative points, not just emotional appeals
- Accountable - Being willing to answer for the outcomes resulting from their own choices, behaviors, and actions. Take ownership of situations that they're involved in.
- BE AN OWNER- Play a key role in developing strategic relationships with major VC firms in the startup ecosystem and work closely with their portfolio companies to help them scale with Twilio. Continually improve the process for developing and delivering the way the partner model is taken to market.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES- Meet with founders, understand their challenges, and work with AE's/product specialists to own those relationships and allocate resources to support their journey accordingly, at your discretion
- DRAW THE OWL- Help build creative engagement mechanisms to provide better benefits and visibility to startups, eg. partner platforms, collaborations, curated content
- WRITE IT DOWN- Define target new segments--particularly for a post-COVID world--identify the best route to market, capacity and coverage planning, and identify key achievements
- EMPOWER OTHERS- Collaborate cross-functionally to implement new and existing initiatives with multiple internal organizations including sales, corp dev, marketing, services, and product marketing / management organizations. Sales is TVP’s force multiplier: support them in executing on demand generation activities for eligible startups, important feedback, and new fund addition
The Global Business Development Manager, Twilio Venture Program position is an extremely cross-functional and varied role. This person will work closely with Twilio, SendGrid, and Segment community development teams, sales, corporate development, partners, product, and marketing teams on critical initiatives that tie into the startup and venture capital community, as well as other lines of business within the broader Twilio organization. You will be expected to continually test, observe, and refine your efforts to improve what we offer to those customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
The position would be located in our beautiful office at 101 Spear Street in San Francisco. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks