Because you belong at Twilio.The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Data Engineer to be a key member of the Developer Success data science team. The Developer Success Team’s mission is to inspire millions of developers around the world to try Twilio and equip them for success as they onboard, build, launch, and scale with our products. The systems and services you build will help us understand developers and guide how we invest in long-term relationships with them.Additionally, you will:
- contribute to the design and build of data platforms and services,
- handle our strategic cloud data infrastructure in cloud environments
- partner with other engineers, data scientists, and product managers to translate data needs into critical information that can be used to implement scalable data platforms and self service tools.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about solving problems using engineering and data, thrives in an evolving environment, brings an enthusiastic and collaborative attitude, and delights in making a difference.
As a successful candidate, you must have a deep background in data engineering and a consistent track record of solving data problems at scale leveraging distributed data systems. You are a self-starter, embody a growth attitude, and can collaborate effectively across the entire Twilio organization.
Twilio is looking for an exceptional individual who lives Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record in conceiving and delivering solutions at company-wide scale.
- 7+ years of software development experience related to data engineering at a fast paced, software delivery company
- Knowledge of all phases of software development including requirements analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging, implementation, and support.
- A good understanding of designing and building highly scalable data warehouses and data pipelines.
- Hands on experience in SQL, Python, and either Java or Scala programming languages.
- Experience in building distributed environments using any of Kafka, Spark, Hive, Presto, Hadoop, etc.
- Good understanding of architecture and functioning of distributed database systems like Snowflake, Presto and Redshift (any).
- Experience working with various file formats like Hudi, Parquet, Avro, ORC for large volumes of data
- Experience with one or more NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, MongoDB or DynamoDB is a plus.
- Strong understanding of engineering standard methodologies and design principles
- Experience working in an agile environment and iterative development
- Collaborative attitude and ability to work with distributed, multi-functional teams
- Solid communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate your point of view
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science required, or equivalent experience.
As a Data Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER:
- Design and implement data management services for data trust, data compliance, data access and scalable and configurable metadata management.
- Clearly articulate the technical rationale behind your design and implementation choices.
- Participate in Agile/Scrum activities including planning, standups, retrospectives and provide your point of view on user stories.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES:
- Partner with data architects, data scientists, product managers and other engineers to ensure they have the right information about our services and platforms while ensuring happy customers.
- Listen to your customers’ challenges, find opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time.
- WRITE IT DOWN:
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication - ensure that complex ideas, thoughts, and vision can be communicated simply and effectively. You are expected to thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
- DRAW THE OWL:
- You’ll build highly scalable platforms and services that support rapidly growing data needs in Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
The Developer Success Team is dedicated to providing a world-class developer experience for any builder using Twilio services and solutions. Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We’d prefer someone in the Denver/Colorado area, but we’re open to remote candidates. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.About Us
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: 132,928 USD - 166,160 USD
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: 116,312 USD - 145,390 USD
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks