Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Data Science Manager to lead the Developer Success data science team. The Developer Success Team’s mission is to inspire millions of developers around the world to try Twilio and equip them for success as they onboard, build, launch, and scale with our products. You’ll help us understand those developers and determine how we invest in long-term relationships with them. You will contribute to the design and build of data platforms and services, while managing our data infrastructure in cloud environments that fuels strategic business decisions across Twilio.
You will partner with other Twilio engineers, data scientists, and product managers to translate data needs into critical information that can be used to implement scalable data platforms and self service tools.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about understanding and solving business problems, thrives in an evolving environment, brings an enthusiastic and collaborative attitude, and delights in making a difference.
As a successful candidate, you must have a deep background in data science and software engineering, with a proven record of solving data problems at scale leveraging distributed data systems. You are a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, and can collaborate effectively across the entire Twilio organization.
Twilio is looking for an exceptional individual who lives Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record in conceiving and delivering solutions at company-wide scale.
- 7+ total years of experience with data initiatives that require extensive collaboration across various groups and business units; 4+ years leading and overseeing such initiatives, 2+ years as a manager of such initiatives.
- 2+ years of management experience in building high performing data teams
- Proven leader with a track record of strong advocacy and evangelism for data-driven decision making and for the craft of data science
- Expertise and experience in leading the building and managing of data warehouse systems, data models, system integration, etl development, reporting & analysis.
- Extensive knowledge and experience working with cloud based environments like AWS
- Strong knowledge in apache spark or hadoop, java or scala, python, sql, 3rd party apis, reporting tools like Looker, Tableau etc.
- Experience working in a fast-paced agile environment
- Experience in hiring and coaching data scientists, data analysts, and data engineers by focusing on high performance and professional development
- Ability to balance short term tactical decisions with long term strategic thinking
- Demonstrable leadership abilities in changing, ambiguous and challenging situations
- Demonstrable presentation, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, fosters and enables both individuals and teams to excel.
As a Data Science Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Draw the Owl and Be Bold: Continuously evolve the big picture for the Developer Success data science team and take the lead in defining and evangelizing the key metrics used to measure success.
- Wear the Customer’s Shoes: Be a true partner, understand real questions behind requests and solve the problem with the best method for the problem.
- Be an Owner and Write It Down: Motivated to do or achieve something because of one's own enthusiasm or interest, without needing pressure from others. Document knowledge to enable other analysts. Develop and document processes and make sure everyone complies.
- Be Inclusive: Maintain strategic partnerships and drive joint initiatives with critical business units. Partner with business stakeholders in different areas to help think through and plan the right solution for their problems.
- Empower Others: Help create a data-driven culture within Twilio by enabling the teams to be self-sufficient around a single source of truth. Mentor and coach data scientists, data analysts, and data engineers to grow in their careers.
The Developer Success Team is dedicated to providing a world-class developer experience for any builder using Twilio services and solutions. Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We’d prefer someone in the Denver/Colorado area, but we’re open to remote candidates. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $146,240 - $201,080
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $127,960 - $175,945
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks