Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
As a Principal Software Engineer on our Infrastructure Engineering team you will be playing a crucial part in ensuring engineers at Twilio deliver software quickly, confidently, and with high quality. You will be building solutions to enable our engineers to develop, test, deploy and observe their applications through tooling and automation. We do this by leveraging technologies like AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform, Buildkite, Chef, and modern GitOps methodologies, either through building our own services or contributing to open source projects. In this role, you will apply your passion for automation to build and evolve our developer ecosystem.
The scope of this role will require technical and strategic work ranging from architecture design, proof of concepts, and development of services that contribute to enhancing our internal developer experience. The person in this role will work closely with their team members, architects, and stakeholders to ensure all technology solutions and implementations align with product, security, and architecture long term vision and roadmap.
- 10+ years of software development experience with at least 1 year of Golang
- Previous exposure to at least some of the following solution; CI/CD Systems (Buildkite, Argo CD, Jenkins, Travis, etc.), Artifact Repositories (Artifactory, Yum, Docker Registry)
- Experience developing and delivering software using Containers/Kubernetes/Helm
- Experience with Linux & Docker
- Understanding of AWS or other public cloud providers
- Experience running production infrastructure and services
- Listen, present, and question effectively
- A tenacious learner, curious and constantly pushing the boundary of what is possible
- A highly effective collaborator, you work with your team toward common goals
- Self Driven; take complete ownership of your tasks and champion efforts to get your tasks to completion
- Strong customer focus, enabling fellow engineers to efficiently operate on our platform
- Degree in Computer Science or similar experience
- Experience writing Kubernetes operators
- Experience building a software delivery platform
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Ansible, Terraform, Chef, Puppet, etc.)
- Experience with artifact management solutions (Artifactory)
- Experience with ReactJS/TypeScript
As a Principal Software Engineer on the Infrastructure Engineering team , you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DON’T SETTLE: Promote passionate DevOps culture that is driving massively scalable, highly reliable, resilient services in a fast growing customer and engineering focused company
- Contribute to systems that evolve and improve CI/CD processes and internal developer experience
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify and qualify new tooling and approaches from internal and external sources to increase productivity in software development at Twilio.
- Perform thorough and thoughtful code reviews to help maintain high standard of code quality
- Identify areas of improvement in our development processes and provide recommendations for best practices
- BE INCLUSIVE & EMPOWER OTHERS: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- Work with teams across the company to troubleshoot/determine resolution for complex issues
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Work with stakeholders and architecture to solve the right problems
- Develop tools and automation which eliminate manual activities, increase stability, and improve visibility
- Develop monitoring, telemetry, and diagnostics to early-detect and minimize quality of service impacting events
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will be the technical lead responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
The Infrastructure Engineering team is central to Twilio SendGrid’s Email Platform team, enabling internal customers to make reliable, repeatable, and safe deployments to our Kubernetes platform. We work with engineering leadership and architects to build, deploy, and release new features integral to our businesses’ plans for increased revenue, platform reliability, increased engineering velocity, and excellent customer service. When engineers go fast, the company goes fast.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we are dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 1801 California Street Suite 500 Denver, CO 80202. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, catered lunches, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$146,240 - $182,800
Rest of Colorado:
$127,960 - $159,950
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks