The Who, What, Why and Where
At Segment, we believe in giving our customers control over all of the most important data for their business - customer data. It all comes down to one core belief: companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, without any fuss. This has been a core philosophy to how we’ve built our products from day one, and we’re excited to take this to the next level to fully realize this promise.
The Segment Storage organization is looking for engineering managers who are passionate about creating high quality, modern solutions to delivering complex engineering efforts and joining our focus to define the future of Customer Data Platforms. In this role, you will be responsible for managing and growing a team of talented engineers and collaborating with Product Managers to ship products that form the foundation of a strong Customer Data Platform.
- You establish credibility through the quality of your team's technical execution and ownership.
- You lead by example and care for your teams.
- You mentor and develop each employee to reach their full potential.
- You know how to source, recruit, hire and retain talented engineers.
- You have a rare ability to collaborate with and influence diverse engineering teams to improve the reliability, scalability and durability of their services.
- You give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success.
- You know how to manage multiple projects and balance support & development for your teams.
- 3+ years of experience as Technical Lead or Manager of a healthy and high-performing engineering team.
- Experience managing an engineering team(s) on large-scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage.
- Previous operational responsibility for business critical production systems, in a collaborative environment.
- Strong sense of urgency and ownership over critical problem areas.
- CS, EE or CE degree and/or a demonstrable, solid understanding of CS fundamentals
- Demonstrably effective communicator — in spoken and written forms.
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure.
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing distributed systems at global scale.
What we do in the Storage Org:
- Enabling efficient storage and management of customer data to power products like Segment Warehouses and Data Lakes
- Orchestrating customer data deletion and suppression to ensure Segment and our customers are compliant to regulations like GDPR and CCPA
- Building systems that route customer data to Storage Destinations like Data Warehouses and Data Lakes
- Providing a platform to accelerate Data Science and ML use-case on top of existing Data Warehouses and Data Lakes
- Enabling enrichment of customer data with data from various Object Cloud Sources like Twilio, Salesforce, Zendesk and many more
You can work remotely from any state in the US. We generally work Pacific hours, but the team has members across the country (and some in other countries). Around the world, Twilio-Segment offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
A bit about Twilio-Segment:
- Recently acquired by Twilio, Segment customers are now able to capture and manage their customer data, and then utilize that data to target thoughtful connections with their customers through all communications channels via Twilio’s platform.
- We started small, have accomplished a lot and have big ambitions.
- We love open source and also support it with paid fellowships and sponsorship.
- People love working at Twilio-Segment.
- We love talking about what we learned in public and in private.
Glimpse of what we do @ Segment Engineering:
- Using AWS Step Functions at scale to power Segment Data Lakes product
- Improving Warehouse product by optimizing data loading process into AWS Redshift
- Building ctlstore to improve the reliability of our core data pipeline
- Ditching microservices in our server-side destinations to improve our architecture.
- Performance analysis using eBPF (video) and how we use it.
- Efficient encoding/decoding package for various data formats
- Re-architecting Segment data pipeline to reduce infrastructure costs
- Building the right products and finding product market fit
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody our values. To learn more about life at Twilio-Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you!
Twilio-Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$146,240 - $201,080
Rest of Colorado:
$127,960 - $175,945
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks