Because you belong at Segment
The Who, What, Where and Why
At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. We make this easy with a single platform that collects, stores, filters, transforms, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. Our goal is to make it easy to understand, extract value, and protect the integrity of data. We are creating a world where engineers spend their time working on their core product, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to take over the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
The Segment Integrations pillar is building a platform with extentensibility in mind, now offering a runtime for untrusted code with our Functions product. In this role, we’re you’ll be the Engineering Manager for a new dedicated Functions team, enabling customers and internal builders alike to customize event processing at ingress, egress, and in between. You’ll lead the design of new functionality, working with a team of backend and distributed engineers to help it scale in our pipeline. You will help hire and manage a team of 4 by end of year, and closely collaborate with other teams in the pillar with an eye for reliability, high availability, throughput, and security.
- 10+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- 5+ years of engineering management experience in building and scaling an backend, infrastructure or platform team
- Experience driving career growth for early-in-career, mid-level and senior backend and distributed systems engineers
- The ability to synthesize all inputs and develop a very crisp infrastructure roadmap
- A proven track record of operating reliable, scalable, secure, cost-effective infrastructure
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services.
- You have been a developer yourself with a minimum of five years of hands-on experience developing and scaling Go, Java or similar technical stacks. Experience managing software engineers in a technical and complex operations environment are highly desired. Ideally, you have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment.
- Manage and develop a team of world-class backend, infrastructure and distributed systems engineers building Segment’s Functions product and backend runtime, a key to our extensibility vision
- Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Be hands-on with the engineering team - contributing to the code base in the early days of the team and product.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code. Lead code and architecture design reviews
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Segment, recruiting and motivating top talent.
- More about the Functions product:
- Projects we’re working on
- Bringing our existing functions platform to a multi region and data residency world
- Investing in increasingly reliable delivery and processing of jobs
- Improving observability and tracing for deployed functions
- Building a new scheduler for polling source functions, to help easily ingest data from any number of different sources
- Bringing the customization provided by the functions runtime to the heart of the platform
This position will be located in our Bengaluru office, although as a result of Covid-19 this will start out as a remote position. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.